Thread: You're A Star and Get Your Own Signature Guitar

You're A Star and Get Your Own Signature Guitar

Guys, I'm just trying to start conversations with my silly questions. Just hope it's fun for us.

If I could have a signature guitar, I'd want it to be made by Fender. It'd basically be a Dave Gilmour Black Strat, maybe with more modern tuners and no relic-ing. The neck would also be a small one. Best feeling Strat I ever played was a MIJ 68 Strat with a small neck. I could get around on it more fluidly.

If I could have a signature bass, I'd want Ric to make a 4001 based on mine but with a few adjustments to the bridge and the muting foam. It'd have the vintage pups instead of those they used in 78. It also wouldn't have body binding. Mine looks great with it, but I really like the way Macca radically sanded the body, reshaping it and the horns. I dreamt about that bass when I was a kid. One day, Ric will reissue their McCartney 4001s, and I'll swoop in to get one.
    If we'd known we were going to be the Beatles, we'd have tried harder.--George Harrison

Re: You're A Star and Get Your Own Signature Guitar

hmm interesting question.

I would want my signature guitar to be made by Suhr. Granted my favorite ever non-Fender strat was a Lentz but they don't do what I'd want to put out in the world (they do wonderful instruments though).

My signature Suhr would be:
    1. old Classic Pro neck, unmodified except for 21 frets and it would be a dark roasted birdseye maple (theyre a bit softer than flame, which I like); the stainless frets, Gotoh locking tuners, 12-16 radius, satin finish on the back, a real dark piece of rosewood.
    2. 54 strat contour body, finished in a super thin Poly (yes, poly. I prefer poly for a daily driver), no additional neck material removal
    3. gotoh 6 point trem rather than the 2 usually found on Suhrs
    4. no SSC, no treble bleed, the pickups would be wound to match my 96 Custom Shop strat
    5. the correct wiring of course; cloth leads and cts pots and all that, tone pots wired to neck and bridge only
    6. mint green tri-ply guard, body available in a blue matched to that same CS strat, or Olympic White (Suhr's best color IMO), with a special edition Charcoal burst (I have two guitars in this color, it's my personal favorite)
    7. the likeness of my lab on the neck plate
    8. Suhr gig bag
    9. come with a pack of Dunlop EJ Jazz IIIs, and a letter thanking the person who purchased it and wishing them all the best.

I wouldnt have a signature bass, but I would love to have a signature amplifier by Two Rock; it would basically be a 100 Watt 6L6 loaded Trainwreck rocket based amp with completely defeatable reverb. And for a signature pedal a big box Chase Bliss Tonal Recall.

Yeah, would be nice.

Like you, Willie, I'd want my signature guitar to be made by Fender. It would sound like both a Stratocaster and/or a Telecaster. I've never played a Fender with an ebony fingerboard, but I love that on my 12-string, so that would be it. And even though I like the C and D neck shapes with their 9.5" radii, I think I'd go with a 12." I think it's heresy to put humbuckers on a Fender, but my G&L has a couple of P90s, and they're the shizz! I'd probably stick with Seymour Duncan or Lace Sensors, though. I can't tell you what color, but I don't care for bursts. I tend to like the natural-wood look, so maybe an exotic (but not CITES) wood. Something that would complement the ebony fingerboard. Gold hardware would be nice, too.

Fender's Mod Shop site lets you play with and model different pieces, and thus create your own. I'd post a picture of mine, but no ebony fingerboards...

https://shop.fender.com/en-US/mod-shop/

Quote Originally Posted by OldStrummer View Post

Fender's Mod Shop site lets you play with and model different pieces, and thus create your own. I'd post a picture of mine, but no ebony fingerboards...

https://shop.fender.com/en-US/mod-shop/
    Ha ha. I've built a hundred guitars in that one and in Warmoth's. Fun on a gray day.
    If we'd known we were going to be the Beatles, we'd have tried harder.--George Harrison

I'd have a hardtail Fender Strat with early 60s specs, Delta-tone system, hot pickups (not humbuckers, hotter single coils). Black. White pickguard. Rosewood FB.

Forum Member

Framus: They already make mine just need to change the symbols.

I'd play that Framus with pride. It's a beauty.

Quote Originally Posted by mikesr1963 View Post

that farking gorgeous. I want one.
    "Live and learn and flip the burns"

Dan, I was worried that you'd been swallowed up by the moving monster, cause you know moving houses is all Satan.

Quote Originally Posted by ch willie View Post
    Dan, I was worried that you'd been swallowed up by the moving monster, cause you know moving houses is all Satan.
    I cast him down and told him to be beneath me and bother no more. At least for a year anyhow.

Framus. Now, there's a name I haven't seen in AGES!

The first new guitar I ever bought was a Framus acoustic 12-string. I was studying in Germany, so the cost was in my student's budget, and it really leapt out at me. An ebony fretboard, zero-fret, all mahogany guitar with internal bracing that kept the pressure from twelve strings collapsing in on itself at the cost of projection. I didn't care, I wasn't playing publicly, and I always felt I could mic it (or later add a pickup). That was in 1971.

Here it is today. The Framus name has worn off the headstock, but there is still the impression if I want to add it back again. I never thought of it as a collectible, but here it is, 49 years later...

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by mikesr1963 View Post

Holy Schnikeys! That thang is gorgeous!

The TeleBob Carved Top Telecaster.
    "No harmonic knowledge, no sense of time, a ghastly tone, unskilled vibrato, and so on. Chuck is one of the worst guitar players I know" -Gravity Jim

Quote Originally Posted by Offshore Angler View Post
    The TeleBob Carved Top Telecaster.
    Yes!!! With Telenator Wide Range Pickups!
    "We catched fish and talked, and we took a swim now and then to keep off sleepiness." Mark Twain

Sorta - this was custom built to my specs...

The only thing I'd change is weight relief - it weighs over 10 pounds but is balanced so well it doesn't feel so heavy. I'd also put the pickup selector near the volume knobs - but that is nitpicking. The body was a 40 year-old block of mahogany. You can't see it on the phtots, but the body is a beautiful color with almost metallic highlights - and that was with no tint and only clear lacquer. The Kinman pickups have hand-carved rosewood pickup covers (the knobs are from the same chunk of wood, as is the binding and parts of the neck). Sure is purty and sounds that way, too!
    "We catched fish and talked, and we took a swim now and then to keep off sleepiness." Mark Twain

Quote Originally Posted by DanTheBluesMan View Post
    I cast him down and told him to be beneath me and bother no more. At least for a year anyhow.
    Hahaha

Quote Originally Posted by ch willie View Post
    I'd play that Framus with pride. It's a beauty.
    Pride. LOL!!! I see what you did there...

I don't know that I could have a signature guitar - I like too many variation - Fender, Gibson, hollow, solid, single coils, humbuckers, P-90s, etc...
    I do have ideas for a couple guitars I'd like to build (or buy) - a Les Paul Junior, a 52 Tele, with humbucker in the neck (a la Micawber) and the most off the wall...
    a Strat style, lefty reversed to righty, lefty neck. Mahogany body and neck, with ebony fretboard. Probably hardtail, but not 100% on that. Haven't decided on pickup configuration yet. Maybe set up a bunch of different pickguards with different configs, with quick connect plugs to swap in and out.
    "Do you call sleeping with a guitar in your hands practicing?"
    "It is if you don't drop it."
    - Trent Lane, Daria, Episode 1-2.

Forum Member

I ain't a star but...

I had one made for me that I LERVE!

My Black Widow long guard E.D. "Wee Willy" Johnson 55 (Very soft V) Les Paul with Wizz Vintage Wire HB's.

The basis was a 2015 Gibson Historic Select (M2M True Historic spec). I added the wafflebacks and the pickups with VIP pots and pio caps.

Why?

Why not?

Last edited by renderit; 02-22-2020 at 06:52 AM.

holy smokes, that's killer