Thread: Coronavirus

Coronavirus

This is getting pretty ugly

https://www.nytimes.com/2020/01/30/world/asia/coronavirus-china.html

Re: Coronavirus

While I was out on my run this morning, I listened to an interview with Bill Gertz, national security correspondent for the Washington Times (yes, I listen to the radio while I'm running -- I'm on a trail, so no traffic to worry about). A couple of points he made that stood out: 1) If you haven't received a flu shot yet, you should do so. It will at least give your body some additional immunity, if not prevention, and b) the Chinese have so far refused to allow World Health Organization (WHO) officials in to lend a hand. There is apparently a Chinese biological (weapons?) testing lab in Wuhan, and the country has been very cagey about the depth of the virus's propagation.

Definitely a hairy situation in Wuhan.

Quote Originally Posted by Sérgio View Post
    Definitely a hairy situation in Wuhan.
    My daughter works for a company that has offices in Wuhan. She told me that a co-worker was scheduled to travel there, but his plans were canceled. Apparently not everyone got the message, as her co-worker then received an email informing him that he needed to work from home for two weeks due to his recent travel to Wuhan.

I hear cowbells
    "Live and learn and flip the burns"

Forum Member

The (good?) news seems to be that although the virus spreads quickly, the mortality rate is very low.
    Hopefully for those infected, it stays that way!

Quote Originally Posted by Bill Moore View Post
    The (good?) news seems to be that although the virus spreads quickly, the mortality rate is very low.
    Hopefully for those infected, it stays that way!
    It is. I've read that the problem is that this virus is considered very mutable, and can become more deadly.

point of reason between tacky and tasteless

I wish the news would get this correct. Coronavirus is a family of virus. Remember SARS? That is a specific virus in the Coronavirus family.
    Mark

As is usually the case, despite the media hype and non-scientific minds screaming "the sky is falling!" this will most likely not result in the zombie apocalypse. Current statistics are greatly skewed because the only know cases are those that have been so ill they need to seek medical attention. Like the other scares, once the true number of people who contracted the virus and didn't get sick enough to seek help is know the mortality rate may likely be no greater than any other strain of influenza.

Yes, precautions are a good thing, but it's not time to start burying food and ammunition in the back yard yet.
    "No harmonic knowledge, no sense of time, a ghastly tone, unskilled vibrato, and so on. Chuck is one of the worst guitar players I know" -Gravity Jim