Thread: Les Paul Sounds Like a 335?

Les Paul Sounds Like a 335?

I was tweaking the tone on the Les Paul the other night, and I dialed in these tones that sounded to me so close to a 335 or a semi-hollow.

I don't know how to describe that little something you hear in semi-solid and hollow bodies, but it's a unique quality that I've never heard in a solid body guitar.

My Les Paul might be chambered. Is it possible that even in spite of the maple cap, the chamber is giving a semi-hollow tone?

I wouldn't have thought of it except that my Hofner bass is semi-hollow with no f-holes.
    If we'd known we were going to be the Beatles, we'd have tried harder.--George Harrison

Re: Les Paul Sounds Like a 335?

I never really took the time to pay attention to the difference between a Les Paul and a 335, both with PAF-like humbuckers. What do you hear particularly, Willie?

Quote Originally Posted by Sérgio View Post
    I never really took the time to pay attention to the difference between a Les Paul and a 335, both with PAF-like humbuckers. What do you hear particularly, Willie?
    It's hard to describe what I hear. It's just what I think of as the hollow body tone. There's a certain depth and almost a "ping" quality to it. Take BB King and Larry Carlton--vastly different 335 tones, but they share in common this elusive thing I'm trying to describe.
    If we'd known we were going to be the Beatles, we'd have tried harder.--George Harrison

Forum Member

I have noticed that certain pickups DO sound infinitely more 'woody' on some LP's. A good 335 sounds slightly more woody and full than most LP's. Hence, I think you are hearing a more woody tone and thinking 335. One of the best 335 solos I have EVER heard...(About 1 minute in)

That would explain it. I'm telling you, I paid $1800 for my Les Paul Traditional, and it's got incredible tone. When I let i rest a couple of weeks and then come back to it, I'm blown away all over again.

BTW, that's one of my all time favorite songs. And yeah, that guitar solo is amazing.

what I hear with semi-hollows vs hollow bodies is more overtones/less fundamental tone, relatively speaking.

on your les paul you can set your PAF clones to where longer, sustained notes have a distinct warble & even a bit of a howl (through a completely clean amp). this is definitely on the low end of where people set theirs, but it's funny anyone who's ever played one of my les pauls has commented on how great they sound. I just want it to sound like an electric Goodall GC. I mean that's a pipe dream but it goes a long way towards explaining why I like the things I do if you think about that being my goal.

the guitar that gets the closest to that sound in solid body world, hilariously ironically, is the Knaggs SSC, imo, and it's got a raygun on the headstock. but I have one and it has that very neutral, uncompressed sound.

somewhat ironically a while back I was in the market for a Collings I-35 of some sort. I live in Austin and the company are sort of local heros & I'd played some of their acoustics, and while they weren't 100% my favorites, I am impossibly and self-destructively picky with acoustics (for me it's the Froggy Bottom Model M or dont bother) I liked an awful lot about their guitars (especially the Julian Lage OM). I had a really hard time deciding between the LC and Deluxe (which are constructed differently). I watched a lot of youtube videos, often comparing the two, with my little planar magnetic headphones on and something just sounded off to me about them.

The worst part was when them in a store; playing through a vintage Twin Reverb there was just something about the sound that didn't do it for me. And then I played a 335. Not even a good one. The fretwork was definitely in the 'acceptable' range, I wasnt a fan of the neck carve, the electronics were the original Gibson stuff (barf). And it sounded much better to me than either Collings. Frankly it sounded better than most Les Pauls do to me. And this has largely been my observation more broadly; it's easier for a 335 to sound good than a Les Paul. Only the really, really good solid bodies have the balance & complexity of a 335 and they still sound a bit different, but they're closer. A little middier, a little more compressed.

Ironically the Collings I liked best, and could have seen myself buying, was the City Limits; a solid body. And this was when I bought the SSC, so there you go.

I love 335s and now that production has moved to Nashville for the CS ones I could see myself getting one. Just wish they were a hair smaller; they are big guitars for someone with my frame.

I love the SSCs--I''d never heard of them so looked them up when I saw your post. Interesting guitars. A little more ornate than I like.

Well, I really get close enough to the 335 that I can't justify getting a 335. I'm not playing live at the moment, and I can tweak the recordings enough to get even a bit closer to 335 territory with the Les Paul.

For what I'm writing these days, my Tele and Strat do the job. A Ric 330 would get closer to what I need. But that's a purchase for the future. I can tweak the Fenders to do what I need.

Living on retirement funds = frugality.

Forum Member

I liked this one so it came home. I have a few Collings beasties. They are remarkably good guitars.

Quote Originally Posted by renderit View Post
    I liked this one so it came home. I have a few Collings beasties. They are remarkably good guitars.
    they are.

but a lot of really good guitars aren't for me (in the same way some of mine wouldn't be for other people). Custom 24s, Teyes, Parkers, etc. All very impressive. All the sort of thing I want to love but can only do so as an appreciator of their craftsmanship. it's not like Knaggs is higher quality than Collings (they're about the same), it's that I like the way the SSC sounds specifically. really it always comes down to the same thing for me; many excellent made guitars just have a more direct, mid forward sound than I like. but then, I have the same problem with a lot of really excellent small amps, channel switchers, etc.

Everyone should have a 335. And/or anything that ends in a 5!

Dammit, Old Strummer. I've already got 335 G*A*S--don't add fuel to the fire.. aaaaaaaaahhh want one.......

Quote Originally Posted by ch willie View Post
    Dammit, Old Strummer. I've already got 335 G*A*S--don't add fuel to the fire.. aaaaaaaaahhh want one.......
    For the longest time I wanted a copy of "Big Red," the late Alvin Lee's ES-335.

You'll get over your GAS, Willie. Or maybe you won't.

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by redisburning View Post
    they are.

but a lot of really good guitars aren't for me (in the same way some of mine wouldn't be for other people). Custom 24s, Teyes, Parkers, etc. All very impressive. All the sort of thing I want to love but can only do so as an appreciator of their craftsmanship. it's not like Knaggs is higher quality than Collings (they're about the same), it's that I like the way the SSC sounds specifically. really it always comes down to the same thing for me; many excellent made guitars just have a more direct, mid forward sound than I like. but then, I have the same problem with a lot of really excellent small amps, channel switchers, etc.
    I agree with your assessment. With a couple of caveats.

All of these with the exception of the 360ST got the pickups changed out because of that mid forward thing. The ST just does it for me right out of the box, but then it is the only Collings that is 100% Collings and is to die for tonally. I guess the bottom one is really it's own thing as well and the pickups are original. But it is more hi-fi mid forward than I care for right now. Probably will change the pickups out, but it is still being considered. I have plenty of time.

I would have a problem with one you mentioned being in the same category of build quality. Owned a T and it was the worst built guitar I have ever seen with a finish looking like it was rattle canned and not even rubbed out. They offered a replacement that was worse. Never seen one on the shelf that did not look like an 8th grader finished it. NOT in the same category, but I DO love his designs...

I've not tried a Knaggs. I will have to get my hands on one. Your glowing description does get my gas going.

Another brand I think tops all the others is a B&G. I have 3 and they kick butt! They are their own thing and it strangely agrees with me. Light and tone for days...

My favorite sound has always been the ES 345 Gibson with one of the best solo sounds that comes to mind being Elvin Bishop’s “Fooled Around and Fell In Love” on his ‘59 345. Here’s my ‘59 ES 345.