Thread: So...

So...

I am gonna have this as a late night snack. Thinking of a grilled cheese as a side dish but it’s a cliché. Suggestions?

Re: So...

nothing wrong with that. Funny, cuz i was thinking of a grilled cheese for supper tonight
    "Live and learn and flip the burns"

Quote Originally Posted by redisburning View Post
    Now that got me thinking... which one is the side dish? Beginning to thing it's the soup

I like to make grilled cheese sandwiches that have cheddar, tomato, and ham with a little mayo. I either put those suckers in a pan or put them in a sandwich machine et voila.

I ain't a snob though. Some days you can't beat a plain old grill cheese and bowl of Campbell's tomato soup.
    If we'd known we were going to be the Beatles, we'd have tried harder.--George Harrison

What kind of cheese do you guys like in your grilled cheese?

Here in this neck of the woods the classic grilled cheese is made with mozzarella

Quote Originally Posted by Sérgio View Post
    What kind of cheese do you guys like in your grilled cheese?

Here in this neck of the woods the classic grilled cheese is made with mozzarella
    with anything smokey/meaty - pepper jack

for a cheese focused grilled cheese - sharp cheddar with parm/comte/gruyere

I do love a mozz + tomato + basil sandwich though, especially on a ciabatta.

I HATE American cheese, even in burgers.

I've made them with all kinds of cheese, and yes, American is one of them. never orange cheese, milk ain't orange, cheese shouldn't be either. The only reason velveeta is orange is because it is floor sweepings from the cheese factory and they put coloring in it to hide the heterogenous nature of the concoction. Impoverished southerners grew up thinking orange is the normal color of cheese and now it's damn hard to find good cheese that isn't a mutant orange color. What, did your cows drink blood or something? That just ain't right.

I've used provolone, swiss, pepper jack, shredded cheddar (shout out to Cabot's Seriously Sharp Cheddar, mmm-mmm) to make grilled cheeses. If it was sliced or shredded, I've used it. I've made grilled cheese with bacon, ham or turkey.

Lately I've taken to putting garlic and oregano on one side and jalapeno on the other.
    "Live and learn and flip the burns"

My grandfather used to prepare Campbell's tomato soup if I was out of school sick. He'd saute some onions, add the soup and noodles and add black pepper until it was good an tangy. There's always some in the pantry and I make it for myself if I'm not feeling well. Comfort food!