Thread: Mick Fleetwood on Peter Green

Mick Fleetwood on Peter Green

There's to be a tribute concert for Peter Green. Mick Fleetwood made some interesting comments.

"He wants to keep a very, very low profile, and that’s fine," said Fleetwood about hopes that Green will show up.

"This is about the journey Peter took into the music, and that music is still alive. Everyone that’s on this show has their own poignant story about being connected to that early band."

Fleetwood saw Green about a year and a half ago. "I went out with my girlfriend, and spent the day with him. He’s not the Peter that I knew, clearly. But he plays acoustic guitar. He loves painting, and fishing is his hobby.

"It’s no secret that he took a left turn and never came back, but he’s ok. He also has really little or no ego at all, which is unbelievable. You want to go, “Do you realise what you did?” “No, no. Yeah, I suppose so.” He has no ego about what he did."
    If we'd known we were going to be the Beatles, we'd have tried harder.--George Harrison

Re: Mick Fleetwood on Peter Green

People blame the drugs and the cult (one of which actually took Danny).

But Peter was sick, and is sick. Schizophrenia, while rare, is devastating. My family has a history; as someone who has seen it up close I just hope Peter is living a good life because even that's a reach for many.

That being said, it's hard to imagine a guitar world without Peter, whether people understand he is the influence of their influence or not. Just look at the track list of Then Play On and the singles they were releasing at the time. They had totally moved past Chicago Blues wannabes to some truly incredible music; Black Sabbath wasn't released until the next year and NOTHING on it is even close to as heavy as The Green Manalishi was.

A tribute concert is more than appropriate for what Peter has done for popular music.

Yes, he's been sick with it his whole life. The drugs might have made things worse, but the illness itself would explain a lot of what happened to him. I've read coherent snatches of interviews with him over the years. I'm a fan and his will always be my favorite era of Fleetwood Mac.
    If we'd known we were going to be the Beatles, we'd have tried harder.--George Harrison

many years ago in the early '70s, I got to hang out with some of the area's premier musical talents. We were out on a porch listening to radio. On came a song that made the hairs on the back of my neck stand up. Everybody stopped and listened. Somebody asked "Who IS that?" and I said "That sounds like Peter Green" and they were seriously impressed that I had any clue to who he was. It was like I passed a litmus test.

There's a PG tribute album out there called Rattlesnake Guitar: The music of Peter Green and it has some seriously good covers on it. I need to find it when I get my apartment set up and give it a listen. It's been a while.

this one

"Live and learn and flip the burns"

To me, Peter Green WAS Fleetwood Mac. I still remember The Green Manalishi, and Oh, Well. Fabulous stuff! Terrific guitar work! I still have the English Rose vinyl LP. I'm glad to hear Green is still alive, and I hope, happy.

Quote Originally Posted by DanTheBluesMan View Post
    There's a PG tribute album out there called Rattlesnake Guitar: The music of Peter Green and it has some seriously good covers on it. I need to find it when I get my apartment set up and give it a listen. It's been a while.

this one

There's only one available on Amazon, and they're asking USD$50 for it. You've got a keeper!

wow. I've had that album for quite a while. There was a cute blonde girl in the record store that I was stalking ... er, admiring when I started flipping through the CDs in front of me when I found that CD.
    "Live and learn and flip the burns"

It's great to see Peter Green being discussed here. I picked the guitar (back) up in the late '70s because of Clapton (mostly Bluesbreakers, Derek and the Dominoes, early solo career and with Delaney & Bonnie & Friends) and my guitar teacher spoke of some guy named Peter Green. I had only heard a few recordings and it seemed so rare at the time. It was years later before I came to appreciate him.

Quote Originally Posted by Don View Post
    It's great to see Peter Green being discussed here. I picked the guitar (back) up in the late '70s because of Clapton (mostly Bluesbreakers, Derek and the Dominoes, early solo career and with Delaney & Bonnie & Friends) and my guitar teacher spoke of some guy named Peter Green. I had only heard a few recordings and it seemed so rare at the time. It was years later before I came to appreciate him.
    I knew nothing about him until I was in my 30s, living in Europe where the old Fleetwood Mac is revered. I knew Oh Well from FM radio, but that was it.

BTW, The Beatles loved the song Albatross. One of the songs on Abbey Road was influenced by it. I forget which tune, but they were pleased that it had the Albatross feel to it.

Quote Originally Posted by ch willie View Post
    I knew nothing about him until I was in my 30s, living in Europe where the old Fleetwood Mac is revered. I knew Oh Well from FM radio, but that was it.

BTW, The Beatles loved the song Albatross. One of the songs on Abbey Road was influenced by it. I forget which tune, but they were pleased that it had the Albatross feel to it.
    Sun King.

I was obsessed with Peter Green's playing in undergrad, where the early advent of youtube really helped find his material (esp. live recordings).

Looking forward to hearing cuts from that show.
    I'm definitely a fan of the PG era Mac - From Santana playing Black Magic Woman, hearing it's a Mac cover, a looking for it (did they ever play it in the Buckingham era?)
    and Oh Well, from several artists...
    I understand he's a lot better than he was, playing and occasionally recording these days, but he stays pretty close to home (understandably.)
    Jeremy Spencer, even though he's still a member of the cult (he calls it alternative religious community, or some such) is also active in music, he released an album last year, I want to say.
    "Do you call sleeping with a guitar in your hands practicing?"
    "It is if you don't drop it."
    - Trent Lane, Daria, Episode 1-2.