Thread: Speaking of musical instruments ...

Speaking of musical instruments ...

what? on this forum? Why, I never heard of such a thing.

Right now, I have but 2 guitars in the house. It has been a long time since I've had just that many at hand. The tele and the R9 remain, the rest are in storage. I used an I Ching coin toss to decide which LP stayed and the black R0 won the trip to storage.(loser.loser)

I suspect they'll be there for about 2 weeks, when I either bring them to the apartment or to a storage unit in the apartment building. I want to save the guitar boxes and the boxes for the stereo stuff, I might have to flatten everything to do that. Some of these boxes are over 30 years old. I've always had a house where there was enough room to keep them. We're probably going to move again within a year, it's not like I'm trying to keep them for an unknown future. I might even be able to close the two units offsite. We'll probably downsize to one smaller unit for another month before we're completely out of there. I imagine the last stuff to go will be tools and garage stuff. I certainly ain't getting rid of that, not without a fight at least.

As luck would have it, I had to quit for the night when the sound in the computer rig started cutting out. It might have been over-warmed gear, both the AI and stereo have been on for over 12 hours and they felt quite warm. They're currently stacked on top of each other. Might have to keep them separated.
    "Live and learn and flip the burns"

Re: Speaking of musical instruments ...

What's your off-site storage solution looking like?

I am in desperate need of lock-up space but I live in the suburbs and it's not the same out here and I dont want to drive on 35 to get a guitar if I feel like playing it.

Quote Originally Posted by redisburning View Post
    What's your off-site storage solution looking like?

I am in desperate need of lock-up space but I live in the suburbs and it's not the same out here and I dont want to drive on 35 to get a guitar if I feel like playing it.
    It's about 7.6 miles from the house and 9 miles from the apartment. I most likely won't be keeping it much beyond the next month's rental period especially if I can get something right down the hallway from my apartment. I chose it because it has a total climate control facility. I know people who've lost nearly everything they put in storage because it got mold and mildew. If I had a business and needed a secure, climate control storage and could expense it I'd be all over it.

well, now the amps are packed and in the car waiting for the ride to the storage unit. I will have no amp in the house at all. I won't be able to regale my neighbors one last time. Unless I can get back in before the house sells and play in the empty rooms. We'll see how I'm doing physically and mentally after next week. Physically I'm running just a hair under red line and should be taking it easy as soon as possible. By the time I get done taking care of all the business that needs attending to, I may be too exhausted to move for a week or two. Mentally, I'm pretty much out to lunch so nothing much different there

You brought up an interesting subject...

I'm about to move in with the fiancée, and we're gonna live in an apartment that doesn't really have that much space.

I ain't no guitar collector, I'm a player and I try to stick to the minimum gear I need. I own three guitars, two Fenders and one Rickenbacker, one gig-worthy amp and the Danelectro mini amp I just bought just to be able to practice with actual volume.

Other than that it's just my pedalboard and a cardboard box full of spare pedals.

Even so, I'm having a hard time trying to design the place in order to bring this stuff along without entirely sacrificing the room that's meant to be a study.

My guess is I'm gonna have to ask my old folks to storage one guitar, the big amp and the spare pedals for me.

as long as they give your a head's up that they're moving, that's a viable plan.

"Mom? Dad? Where are you?"

"Oh, son, we forgot to tell you. We moved to Australia."

" ..."

Now you got me worried

Quote Originally Posted by Sérgio View Post
    Now you got me worried
    "And the fifth horseman of the Apocalypse throws his leg over his ... uh ... Segway? What is this? Cost cutting over stable fees? Really? *sigh* All, right, if you say so. Ahem, where were we? Ah, yes. Dreadful Uncertainty mounted his electronic equine and whirred off into the distance, his job completed."

You guys have me counting my blessings!