Thread: The News Came Slow

The News Came Slow

I confess that I've been in a self-imposed sequester today. Earlier, I had mentioned getting a lot done yesterday, so today was my day to lay back.

So, even though I took a nice long 3 mile walk, it was restful and carefree. Thus, it was only a short while ago that I heard of the death of Kobe Bryant in a helicopter crash. Not being a basketball fan, I wasn't devastated by the news, but I know the name, so it was nonetheless a shock. My heart goes out to the family, friends and fans.

Then, not thirty minutes ago, I heard it was Grammy night. And you know what? I couldn't care less.

On my news page, I saw a partial list of Grammy winners, and a scan of the list had me scratching my head. Who are these people? Somebody named Lizzo copped a couple. A female (I think) named Billie Eilish walked off with a couple. Far and wide, I don't listen to, and haven't listened to, any of these. So why should I care?

Is there something else going on that I should know about?

Re: The News Came Slow

nah, just a bunch of awards shows that I pay zero attention to. I was too busy packing music room stuff, still doing it today. We're moving next Tuesday. I gotta get this stuff out of here. Like, now !
    "Live and learn and flip the burns"

It's a sad affair that they missed so many great musicians we lost last year in the tribute part of the show..

Quote Originally Posted by OldStrummer View Post
    I confess that I've been in a self-imposed sequester today. Earlier, I had mentioned getting a lot done yesterday, so today was my day to lay back.

So, even though I took a nice long 3 mile walk, it was restful and carefree. Thus, it was only a short while ago that I heard of the death of Kobe Bryant in a helicopter crash. Not being a basketball fan, I wasn't devastated by the news, but I know the name, so it was nonetheless a shock. My heart goes out to the family, friends and fans.

Then, not thirty minutes ago, I heard it was Grammy night. And you know what? I couldn't care less.

On my news page, I saw a partial list of Grammy winners, and a scan of the list had me scratching my head. Who are these people? Somebody named Lizzo copped a couple. A female (I think) named Billie Eilish walked off with a couple. Far and wide, I don't listen to, and haven't listened to, any of these. So why should I care?

Is there something else going on that I should know about?
    Billie Elish is a nice young lady, you know. Although now my younger sister and all of her friends are starting to talk like her which is my first look into how annoyed boomers must feel all the time.

Lizzo is very talented as well. She's quite popular at work.

Both of these artists are a bit too mainstream pop for me, but I think both put out good records.

The Grammys and all of these award shows are just shilling though. It's not about quality, it's about the circle-jerk of doing the award show circuit. Looking through the list of all the winners, the only album I saw that I personally really liked this year that much was El Mal Querer by Rosalia (which granted won, as it deserved to, because it's amazing).

I will say most of the time not knowing top 40 is forgivable, but if you aren't hip to Rosalia you need to rectify that immediately.