Thread: King of Tone- Long wait (longer than you think!)

King of Tone- Long wait (longer than you think!)

I just placed my order for an Analogman King Of Tone today. My name made it to the top of the list on October 23rd 2012. That's 7 years, 3 months, plus the waiting time (which was 2 years back then). By the time I receive my pedal in a few weeks, it will have been over 9 years since I put my name on the list!

I've been using 2 Prince of Tone pedals- one on my pedalboard and one at home and for grab and go situations (a Princeton Reverb, Telecaster and Prince of Tone is an awesome setup). The KoT will replace one of them. They're the only overdrive pedal I've really liked.

Re: King or Tone- Long wait (longer than you think!)

That sounds really interesting. I'd love to be able to hear what it sounds like live.

Nine years' wait--sounds biblical.
    If we'd known we were going to be the Beatles, we'd have tried harder.--George Harrison

Re: King or Tone- Long wait (longer than you think!)

holy heck, 9 years? I'd be afraid of either the builder or I dying before I get my pedal if I put my name on the list now. Or not knowing how to play anymore because I got (more?) senile

I'd love to hear that when you get it, just to see if it was worth it.
    "Live and learn and flip the burns"

Re: King of Tone- Long wait (longer than you think!)

You don't wait 9 years.

Once your wait time is over, you have priority to order 1 king of tone. You may cash this priority in whenever, and purchase the pedal at it's manufacturer price.

I've owned two. IMO just pay the premium and get one second hand, your time is worth more than 150 dollars.

FWIW I think it's a really nice pedal but I HATE stacking and I dont like dual pedals where I cant switch between circuits with a single button. IMO the switching would be significantly improved if it were controllable. As far as having one always on, well I'd suggest buying a better amp if you leave an overdrive pedal on 24/7, but that's just me. I think the low gain option is better, personally, too, but I see more high/highs than low/low, with high/low being by far the most common combination.

still, it's the best at what it does which explains the secondhand premium despite the fact the pedal has been in constant production for years and years and there are actually a TON of them out there.

That is correct- the wait is not 9 years. It's almost 3 years, which is still ridiculously long. I put off buying for over 7 years after my name came up.

Currently, with my Prince of Tone, I switch between the Boost and OD settings and change the volume as needed. I've tried both of my PoTs together and liked boosting the signal after OD, so the KoT should work well for me.

Getting a KoT is kind of a no-brainer (yet I put it off ). If I don't like it, or think my PoTs are better suited for me, I can just sell it.

I was seeing them all over Reverb in the 450-585 range. Not sure why so wide a variance but i did see stuff I didn't quite understand. Lots of versions I suppose. I don't think I really want to get involved in them, not at those prices.

Quote Originally Posted by DanTheBluesMan View Post
    I was seeing them all over Reverb in the 450-585 range. Not sure why so wide a variance but i did see stuff I didn't quite understand. Lots of versions I suppose. I don't think I really want to get involved in them, not at those prices.
    just varying degrees of reseller wishful thinking.

I keep waiting for people to figure out how many klons & KoTs there actually are.

at any rate, Id say today you should be looking at about 450 total including shipping unless it's pretty special. FWIW Mike has been shipping a lot of custom colors lately so dont pay more just because it's not purple (the finish is better on the purple pedals anyway).

look Im not saying this isnt a good pedal but 450 does buy you a second hand Revival Drive, anything by Buffalo, even some Kingsley pedals, an Effectrode Blackbird, etc.

I wanted an LDO when they first came out and I failed to jump on it before they took off into the stratosphere. The maker passed away IINM and now they're in the high 3 and low 4 digit range. Crazy, absolutely crazy.

It's here and it sounds great! Less compressed in the OD mode than the Prince of Tone. It’s like the OD mode is somewhere between the PoT’s Boost and OD modes. I don’t think that has anything to do with circuit or component differences- probably just tolerances. It really shines with my Telecaster. I found that I like a little more compression with my Strat and prefer the PoT by a hair. I needed to turn up the internal treble pot in both of my PoTs. I don’t think I’ll have to with this pedal.

Last edited by Don; 02-01-2020 at 05:19 PM.

are those DC only?

Quote Originally Posted by DanTheBluesMan View Post
    are those DC only?
    You can use a wall wart or battery, unless you get the buffered version. There's no room for a battery in the buffered version. That matters a lot to me- the point with this pedal (for me) is to be able to grab my Princeton Reverb, Telecaster and the KoT and go.

that's largely why I like battery powered pedals. I don't use more than one unless I'm recording.

put my name on the list today, gives me time to save money