Thread: Band on hiatus...

Band on hiatus...

So, after a very unpleasant disagreement between our singer and the drummer, Blue Maverick took a pause.

Though I really enjoy gigging, I must confess that I was kinda saturated. I mean, ok, it's cool to be a weekend warrior, covering songs and watching the ladies in the audience shake their hips and their other atributes as you play your guitar. But I was already getting tired. I needed a break.

The band will probably continue, I don't think this is an end, but we'll be away from the studios and stages for a couple of months, probably.

I got two invitations to join other crews, form other bands and play something different, but truth is, I am really fed up with covering other bands.

As a matter of fact, I feel like picking up a guitar is only Worth it if I'm actually playing my own stuff. And I don't really write songs, but it's starting to happen. I am imagining riffs of my own, working on them with the acoustic and writing them down or recording them with the iPhone, just so I don't just forget them.

It seems that I'm entering a new phase... I feel lost but it ain't entirely bad.

Re: Band on hiatus...

Good for you, Sérgio. Nothing stays in the same place forever. I'm reminded that all things work out in the end, and if they haven't worked out, it's not the end, yet.

I'm not sure it's good for me, but it certainly drives me out of a comfort zone that has become quite uncomfortable.

Being in a band is what I like the most in life, but being only a cover player just doesn't cut it anymore and forming a band to play author rock n roll stuff is quite a hard task, at least here in my neck of the woods.

It's kind of funny, as I'm seeming to be wanting to go in the opposite direction. i've been playing my own stuff for so long and I want to learn to play covers with other people so I can steal as much material as I can. You will have the advantage there.

I don't know about gigging but I want to play, somewhere besides my bedroom/music room. If gigging happens, great but at the moment I'm not expecting it.
    "Live and learn and flip the burns"

To me it just doesn't make sense to own and play electric guitar and not to gig.

It's sorta like owning a race horse and keeping it in the barn.

Anyway I am really digging the riffs I'm coming up with. I try them on the acoustic and if I like the vibe I try to do them on the electric. I'm even thinking of lyrics too, go figure. I never tried this before but not having scheduled gigs to worry about is just blowing my mind. I'm having ideas like I've never had before.

Another thing that I'm finding VERY cool is that when you cover somebody else's songs, of course you do the playing your way, but you're always "trying to execute a task", I mean, you're like trying to do something somebody else gave you to do.

Writing songs is a lot more organic, you do whay you want to do, and as long as it sounds good and is harmonically ok, you're good. Everything is easy because you are creating, and you create riffs that are comfortable for yourself. It's like you just don't make mistakes because all you do is what you actually like to do. I don't know how to make myself clear on this.

Anyway... I'm overwhelmed with this.

You have to remember that playing live is like making Kraft Macaroni and Cheeze. Yes, I could use artisan aged cheddar, organic homemade pasta and bake it. Then it would be "better" since all the best ingredients are there and it was cooked artfully. But in the end I really wanted Kraft Macaroni and Cheese.

99.9% of the time, the audience wants Kraft Macaroni and Cheeze. If they didn't they'd be at the jazz club. You have to give the audience what they want.

And another hint, when you write lyrics, don't make them deeply introspective and personal. Nobody cares. Make sure you hit on universal aspects of being a human. Things that anybody can relate too.

You'll find that even playing originals get tedious after awhile, since they will be your arrangements and you'll want them just the way you ant them.

The main thing is enjoy the moment with the audience and your bandmates.

All IMHO, Chuck
    "No harmonic knowledge, no sense of time, a ghastly tone, unskilled vibrato, and so on. Chuck is one of the worst guitar players I know" -Gravity Jim

Great advice, Chuck!