Thread: Anything from NAMM Catch Your Eye?

Anything from NAMM Catch Your Eye?

Videos I've seen of the Fender and Gibson booths show some beautiful guitars. Fender has some new models. I'm glad they don't make the offset Tele in a lefty.

The most useless thing I've seen is the fx pedal in which you pour your beverage into a cup on top. The pedal analyzes it and changes the OD according to the drink. If you've got money to spend on that, give it to St. Jude's Children's Hospital. (In fact, I'll do that when I see that I'm going to spend money on stupid things.)
    If we'd known we were going to be the Beatles, we'd have tried harder.--George Harrison

Re: Anything from NAMM Catch Your Eye?

Nha Trang beach
    "No harmonic knowledge, no sense of time, a ghastly tone, unskilled vibrato, and so on. Chuck is one of the worst guitar players I know" -Gravity Jim

nothing really grabbed me this year but I wasn't exactly paying close attention either
    "Live and learn and flip the burns"

updated Two Rock TS-1, Origin Revival Trem, new Silver Sky colors (wish I could have gotten one of those Nebulas), updated Friedman Steve Stevens

I stand corrected. Sweetwater knows me too well. They taunt me with a '64 American Hand Wired Princeton Reverb. for a low low 2300 dollars.

ngh, why lawd, why? First the Chris Stapleton Princeton tempts me, now this?

I guess I'm more about amps and effects these days than I am about guitars. Pretty much the only guitar I really want is an SG Jr or LP Jr for something with a P-90 flavor.

There was a couple things I was maybe interested in, if I had the disposable income.
    Maybe the MXR / Cochrane Timmy, though for a few bucks more you can get a real Cochrane.
    A couple "other" brand guitars that caught my eye, though I have no need for a fanned-fret double locking guitar.
    A couple amps, but see above - short of a 5E3 or clone for cheap I don't really need or want more amps.
    "Do you call sleeping with a guitar in your hands practicing?"
    "It is if you don't drop it."
    - Trent Lane, Daria, Episode 1-2.

Quote Originally Posted by DanTheBluesMan View Post
    I stand corrected. Sweetwater knows me too well. They taunt me with a '64 American Hand Wired Princeton Reverb. for a low low 2300 dollars.

ngh, why lawd, why? First the Chris Stapleton Princeton tempts me, now this?

I guess I'm more about amps and effects these days than I am about guitars. Pretty much the only guitar I really want is an SG Jr or LP Jr for something with a P-90 flavor.
    You know I had an open mind wrt to the 64 Deluxe Reverb and then it ended up shipping with some issues, especially related to the noise floor.

that kind of money buys you into any number of PR clones, including some that come with 12" speakers or larger transformers (both of which I personally feel like are improvements, but you have choices).

I also need to shout out to Chase Bliss. I will almost certainly get their reverb collab with Meris (I love Meris' stuff too, especially the Enzo).

And finally Im excited to see what the Gibson Custom Shop does with the ES-335. The best semi-hollow Gibson has made in a long time was CC42. I have NEVER been a fan of the Memphis guitars & I am frankly happy to see production move back to the main Gibson CS factory.

I didn't see it in a NAMM report, but I'll bet they had one there. Epiphone is showing a Les Paul Junior with a fat set neck, wrap bridge and P90 on their site for $379. I want it.

https://www.epiphone.com/Guitar/EPI8.../Tobacco-Burst

They actually have been out for a while - but the new Gibson Modern Double Cut Guitar looks pretty nice. I hope someday they come out with cheaper versions - These are too much for me...

https://www.musiciansfriend.com/guit...73191000004000
    "We catched fish and talked, and we took a swim now and then to keep off sleepiness." Mark Twain

Quote Originally Posted by gibsonjunkie View Post
    They actually have been out for a while - but the new Gibson Modern Double Cut Guitar looks pretty nice. I hope someday they come out with cheaper versions - These are too much for me...

https://www.musiciansfriend.com/guit...73191000004000
    yow, 800 dollar upcharge for a sunburst top?

I'm not even sure where to go to see what was shown at NAMM. Their web site is a confusing mishmash of logistics and pricing, and other sites have some very whacky photos and images that don't showcase product.

yow, 800 dollar upcharge for a sunburst top?
    tops can account for like 30% of the price of a used CS les paul; Im not surprised Gibson finally figured out that they should gouge for the "good" maple.

Not really

I know this guitar is not to everyone's taste looks wise but I am now on the list for one in this new NAMM color:

Quote Originally Posted by redisburning View Post
    I know this guitar is not to everyone's taste looks wise but I am now on the list for one in this new NAMM color:
    I like the color, what scale length do those come in?

I like the color, what scale length do those come in?
    25.5"

7.25" fretboard radius though, although Ive heard the board may be that round but the frets might be flatter?

also interesting is that I had heard that actual fretboard radiuses in the pre-CBS era often weren't actually 7.35 from John Suhr.

so who knows, and I dont know what to expect other than I think the PRS is very fairly priced ~2k with discounts and Ive tried darn near everything else so might as well try this one.

Quote Originally Posted by redisburning View Post
    I'm intrigued by these. That color isn't bad.

Quote Originally Posted by Don View Post
    I'm intrigued by these. That color isn't bad.
    me too.

Ive had nearly everything under the sun that isn't a DPergo or vintage, though I've played several old ones. I have limited expectations, but if it's a good basic strat that plays well and sounds good that's probably adequate as I lack a day-to-day strat at the moment.