Thread: Fulltone OCD

Fulltone OCD

Does anybody here have experience with that one? I’m considering one, to use it mainly as a main distortion pedal, not as a gain booster for extra driving the amp.

Is it up to the task or would an MXR ‘78 do the job better?

Re: Fulltone OCD

I have a 1.7 and the new GE one.

If you want to get all/most of your distortion from a pedal, there are far better choices IMO.

This is the one I have on my board right now (if only I could play 1/10th as well as Mateus):
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LGX26OhLGDo

I have a million of them. For a main drive sound I'd put the OCD way near the bottom; if you play something like a NMV Marshall and just need to push it over the edge with a bit more gain it's quite excellent though IMO for that application you won't do better than a Ceriatone Centura.

The very best one is the Origin Revival Drive. Ive got one but it's MASSIVE and takes a ton of time to dial into a specific amp and it's buffered bypass and Im not currently using a switcher so in the box it stays. I can also recommend Weehbo (pick the style of Marshall you like), the 5150 pedal if you like HIGH gain, Jetter if you like the cascading gain/dumble thing, the Benson Preamp if you like small/exploding amp, the Greer Lightspeed if you like the sound of your own amp turned up, or the Buffalo TD-x if you're really into Eric Johnson/Gilmour style tones.

by the way, this is very important, what amp are you playing?

overdrive pedals can sound exceptionally different through different amps. almost nothing sounds good through an AC30 top boost but there are a couple of pedals that actually can sound good with one (though frankly, just turn it up because it's not like a pedal is going to sound as good as that amp).

Quote Originally Posted by redisburning View Post
    by the way, this is very important, what amp are you playing?

overdrive pedals can sound exceptionally different through different amps. almost nothing sounds good through an AC30 top boost but there are a couple of pedals that actually can sound good with one (though frankly, just turn it up because it's not like a pedal is going to sound as good as that amp).

I play too many genres live and my band travels a lot, so I got a Fender Hot Rod Deluxe, which is loud enough, versatile and keeps the “Fender vibe” as much as a 90s project can. It has several flaws but I needed a workhorse.

Quote Originally Posted by Sérgio View Post
    I play too many genres live and my band travels a lot, so I got a Fender Hot Rod Deluxe, which is loud enough, versatile and keeps the “Fender vibe” as much as a 90s project can. It has several flaws but I needed a workhorse.
    ah then you're good.

most overdrive pedals are tuned to blackface amps anyway.

in that case, I do think the fact that you get two sounds out of the Suhr and it has the channel switching style activation rather than the absolutely asinine stacking type will cover a ton of ground. you can push 1 button and go from one OD to another, so you could have a lower gain and higher gain sound in 1 pedal. but again, it's not the only one.

the OCD just gets out of control at higher levels of overdrive and becomes unpleasant IMO. that's why it's more suited to amps that are really cooking on their own.

I love my OCD pedal. It ain't a boutique pedal, but it is really good. It gives a thick od and distortion that still cuts through the mix. I like the tones too. My other OD is a Digitech Bad Monkey--cheap and one of the best kept secrets out there. No cork sniffing here Try one if you get a chance.
    If we'd known we were going to be the Beatles, we'd have tried harder.--George Harrison

Quote Originally Posted by ch willie View Post
    I love my OCD pedal. It ain't a boutique pedal, but it is really good. It gives a thick od and distortion that still cuts through the mix. I like the tones too. My other OD is a Digitech Bad Monkey--cheap and one of the best kept secrets out there. No cork sniffing here Try one if you get a chance.

In my book the OCD is boutique enough, Willie. Great project. Made in USA, Fulltone pots and whatever else, and several improvements over time.

I've had three- a pretty early one, a v1.7 and a current v2. Unlike most other people, I vastly prefer the latest one. I like the sound of the gain more and it's more responsive to the guitar's volume control. The build is a little cheaper- it appears to have some surface mounted devices and the housing is slotted so a pre-built board with jacks on it can be installed, but the price is right and it's a good pedal.

Quote Originally Posted by redisburning View Post
    the OCD just gets out of control at higher levels of overdrive and becomes unpleasant IMO. that's why it's more suited to amps that are really cooking on their own.

I use the OCD for overdrive to barely hot, but the Rat comes on when it's time for heavy distortion.
    If we'd known we were going to be the Beatles, we'd have tried harder.--George Harrison