Thread: Stop the Chattering

Stop the Chattering

There's way too much discussing going on in this forum now. Will everyone just stop it and go to your social media accounts? I mean Jeez, one post every four days is going to overload the system. I don't know how Kenny has a second for anything other than moderating all the conversatioN.

I'm just kidding. It's slow here, but I do enjoy it when we discuss things.

See any Namm reports of something interesting? Post it.

Got an idea about music? Post it.

Have a memory about music? Post it.

Played someones guitar or played one in a shop that made yer toes tingle? Post it.

You can't force people to take part in a forum, and I'm just glad for the interaction we do have here.
    If we'd known we were going to be the Beatles, we'd have tried harder.--George Harrison

Re: Stop the Chattering

i went up to Manchester a few days ago and while there went to The Music Mill. Their amp room is bigger than a lot of stores. They had one of the 2x12 Marshall cabs I'm GASsing big time for.

"Do you wanna try it?"

"Does Howdy Doody have wooden balls? Of course I do."

Not only did they have the cab, they had the head version of the mini plexi I played last summer. I couldn't justify 1500 for a combo with a single 10" speaker. The amp was pretty versatile through the four inputs but just a 10" speaker in a open back cab. But here was the head version into the 2x12 cab. It got the kerrang going, that's for sure.

I played a used SG that unfortunately had a horribly crackly volume pot, which disappointed me in my attempts to modulate the response of the amp. I tried a tele that had the S-1 circuit in it. The volume knob did not crackle but it was too free moving, I like a little resistance. I also tried a double cut Jr, which I didn't realize was a Custom Shop Historic until I went to put it back and saw the 3299.99 price tag. Egads. Nice guitar but I wouldn't pay nearly anywhere that much for it. But I definitely want a P-90 in my stable.

Now I need to buy 4 of those cabs, one for each of my 3 fenders and one for the Marshall head I need to have
    "Live and learn and flip the burns"

That's what I'm talking about. Read every word. Laughed at the wooden balls.
    If we'd known we were going to be the Beatles, we'd have tried harder.--George Harrison

I either need to downsize my gear or buy a bigger house.

Does anyone one want a clip on tuner?

What happend?
    Who let the magic smoke out?

Quote Originally Posted by CoyotesGator View Post
    I either need to downsize my gear or buy a bigger house.

Does anyone one want a clip on tuner?

LOL!

And here I was, just about to post a random thought that came to mind: I am really enjoying my G&L ASAT! A while back I said that, and then I picked up my Classic Triple Player Tele and changed my mind. But you know what? Those P90s and the three-way switch and two pots give me such an incredible range of sound with just small tweaks, that I can't help buy smile every time I play it.

By the way, does anybody know what an "apple scruff" is? That's the latest tune I've picked up. The more I go back in time to the Beatles catalog, the greater my appreciation for George Harrison's songwriting ability!

Harrison was master level tradesman.

I am undoubtedly a better person because of him.

I have capos and 6” cables available.

Help me avoid hoarder status.

What happend?
    Who let the magic smoke out?

the living room in my new apartment is cavernous thanks in large part to the high ceiling making its 27 x 13 footprint even more spacious, I just wish I could set up my music stuff in there. My bedroom is the larger of the two, and at a usable space of about 18 x 10'4" I could set up my stuff comfortably. It won't exactly be optimal sonically but then again I'm not expecting to be able to be loud in there anyway. If I didn't have to use it as a bedroom I'd be sitting pretty. I have to look at my journals to figure out how long it's been since I've had my guitar gear in my bedroom.

*some time later*

whoa, gotta watch out about reading old journals. While I'm glad I kept them, they are stark reminders of the fallibility of memory. If you want something to be remembered, you got to document it. They're also a total rabbit hole you fall into and totally lose track of time. I've spent nearly 3 hours reading old journal entries.

Ok, long story short, it looks like around 2003 when I started poaching space in the spare office for storage of my music gear, by the next year I start seeing 'music room'. In 2008 it might have been when I started to realize that I had serious vision issues that I got into getting the music room going as a functional entity as well as a fun space. Then nothing for 2013 to 2015, the blackout years, dealing with my mom's drinking. After recuperating from the eye loss in 2015, I made effort to use the space while I still could. By 2016 it began to be obvious my mom was going to need elder care which we did in home for 2 years. After going into a facility Dec 2018 in the span of 6 months it went from we had maybe 4-5 more years to omg we have to sell the house in the very near future. The future that is now.
    "Live and learn and flip the burns"

Don't mean to bum everyone out but... My girlfriend and I had a lot in common with musical tastes. I bought her a bass, and she was learning. Things started going wrong, and she went nuts. Turned out to be meth. She was using my house, letting meth dealers into my place, having meth dropped off in my mailbox (federal crime). So it ended. But I'm okay.

I played my Les Paul and Stratocaster yesterday, a little bit of bass. I talked a lot to a friend about guitars and NAMM, and that all took my mind off things. Music saves me again.

Forum Member

Decided last night to relearn the bass lines in 'Hey Joe' by Jimi. Classic.

Quote Originally Posted by renderit View Post
    That song is a good lesson in playing an electric guitar. It's simple enough at the beginning, but then you learn the nuances, it's all amazing.

Quote Originally Posted by renderit View Post

The basslines in Jimi’s stuff are awesome. Especially if you study his live material.

I love Noel Redding's playing, but Jimi and his folks didn't know how to mix the bass in, in my opinion. Maybe it's better on some of the remasterings?

About the thread subject, yes: it’s too quiet in here.

The only reason I participate in other forums is because this one is too slow.

I’d rather be 100% TFF because of you guys. This is a much better forum than most.

Back in the old days, I think we had more to discuss re guitars because with quite a few members, people were buying new gear all the time.

Most of us are old enough to have found the rigs we like. I don't mean we're not buying these days. My own experience is that there is one more guitar I want to buy before I get to decrepit to play, a Ric 330. Otherwise, all I have to talk about is the same gear I've posted about endlessly.

Side note: When I start earning a decent living with my new business, I'm going to present myself with that Ric.

Quote Originally Posted by ch willie View Post
    Back in the old days, I think we had more to discuss re guitars because with quite a few members, people were buying new gear all the time.

Most of us are old enough to have found the rigs we like. I don't mean we're not buying these days. My own experience is that there is one more guitar I want to buy before I get to decrepit to play, a Ric 330. Otherwise, all I have to talk about is the same gear I've posted about endlessly.

Side note: When I start earning a decent living with my new business, I'm going to present myself with that Ric.
    Good luck with the business!

I'm wondering if perhaps there aren't any truly new guitars out there these days? I confess that I get confused by all the different names/levels being offered. And they keep changing them: Elite, Player, Classic, Traditional, Re-issue, Relic, etc. Whew. If I were shopping for new gear, I wouldn't know where to start. And do I shop by price point, or by looks, or by sound (yeah, I know - sound should be the main criteria. But sometimes it isn't)?

Quote Originally Posted by ch willie View Post

I’m finding Rickenbackers much more underrated than they seem. Great guitars, people just don’t get it.

But they are indeed tools for particular jobs. Definitely not for late 70s rock, for instance.

The basses, though... oh dear... Keep yours!

I've always loved Dreadnaught acoustics and my SJ-200 is to die for. However, most of the time when I want to play acoustic I'm grabbing my Guild F-30 small bodied guitar. It just plays so sweetly!
    "We catched fish and talked, and we took a swim now and then to keep off sleepiness." Mark Twain

Quote Originally Posted by Sérgio View Post
    I’m finding Rickenbackers much more underrated than they seem. Great guitars, people just don’t get it.

But they are indeed tools for particular jobs. Definitely not for late 70s rock, for instance.

The basses, though... oh dear... Keep yours!
    I'll never sell it. I'd starve first.

As for underrated, I think Rics just fit a particular kind of music, and rockers usually reach for their Gibson or Fender types of guitars.

The 330 and other models can handle a lot of work suited for Teles and Strats. I also listened to a young lady playing jazz on a 330, and she got a deep, rich tone out of it.

I'm not that interested anymore in playing late 70s outside of Pink Floyd and a few others. I'm glad to have the Les Paul for recording, in case I need that tool for a song. But I sure would like a 330.