Thread: RIP Neil Peart

RIP Neil Peart

Sad day. I lost both my Dad and a brother to brain cancer. I hope his friends and family are at peace now.
    If we'd known we were going to be the Beatles, we'd have tried harder.--George Harrison

Re: RIP Neil Peart

This is a really hard one to take.
    It says something about the Rush camp that not a single word of this has come out in the (apparently) 3 and a half years he's been fighting this.
    May he Rest in Peace.
    "Do you call sleeping with a guitar in your hands practicing?"
    "It is if you don't drop it."
    - Trent Lane, Daria, Episode 1-2.

Such a loss. He was still young. Still can’t believe this.

Quote Originally Posted by jrgtr42 View Post
    This is a really hard one to take.
    It says something about the Rush camp that not a single word of this has come out in the (apparently) 3 and a half years he's been fighting this.
    May he Rest in Peace.
    I thought the same. When my father and brother died of the same kind of cancer, my brother and sister and I kept things on the hush hush because the progress of glioblastoma is a sad and often 18 months of degradation and humiliation. The mind goes in and out of hallucination and other times, there are cognitive misfires. And then there are the moments of clarity, and those can be sad too. Glioblastoma is a death sentence. There is a zero survival rate. Of course, there are experiments all the time--my brother signed up for experimental chemo when he was dying 12 years ago. If Neil Peart struggled with it for 3 years, there have been advances because when my father and brother died, the usual survival rate after diagnosis was 18 months.

Peart's death opens old wounds for me. But like for my brother and father and all they were, I am grateful for Neil Peart and the great music that he and Rush shared. I was a big fan around the All the World's a Stage album, still my favorite Rush album.
    If we'd known we were going to be the Beatles, we'd have tried harder.--George Harrison

I liked them well enough, I know I had at least the album 2112 in my list that got lost in my wallet in the very early '80s. I had well over 400 albums on that dogeared piece of paper. I didn't care about the money, well, yes I did, starving college student and all that but at least the bastard who found it could have dropped it in the mail so I could get it back. Many phone numbers and addresses gone forever. Analog days, when your wallet was your filing cabinet.

Kind of like George Castanza's wallet in Seinfeld, only worse
    "Live and learn and flip the burns"

I'm kinda like Dan. Rush wasn't one of the bands I had playing all the time, and I didn't own a single album. I do recall seeing videos of them, and I knew that Neil Peart had been inducted into the Modern Drummer Hall of Fame (in 1983!). He's all over the Reader's Poll list! He was inducted into the Classic Drummer Hall of Fame in 2016. R. I. P.