Thread: Hofner Going in for a Fix

Hofner Going in for a Fix

I'm taking my Hofner bass in today for a thorough check up and set up. It's a great bass, but I can't seem to set it up properly. I've also got some Rotosound black strings for short scale to put on it.

It's an HCT Hofner, an offshore model with incredible quality and sound. I first bought it as a toy; you know, to have another Beatle bass to close the circle on my Ric and Jazz (two other basses Macca used in The Beatmehards). Because the Hofner's reputation is mostly made of the first half of the Beatles' career and because of the limitations of sound quality on recordings from that time, I'd discounted the Hofner. Man was I wrong. It is a monster bass.

People love seeing Hofners because as much as they're commonplace subject matter for guitar fora, you don't see a great many of them out and about. And they're instantly recognizable as a Beatles instrument. Even non-musicians automatically connect it to The Beatles.

There are few guitars and basses out there that are almost solely known for one player. Think Ric 4001--a lot of people wouldn't connect it with The Beatles, still fewer with Yes and Rush, maybe even fewer with Yes, though among musicians, those are the first three we'd name. A lot of people see a Strat and think Jimi, but they might just as easily think of Clapton or Holly or John Mayer. Same with the Les Paul. Page? Frampton? Clapton? Joe Perry?
    If we'd known we were going to be the Beatles, we'd have tried harder.--George Harrison

Re: Hofner Going in for a Fix

I toyed with the idea of a Hofner style bass on more than one occasion. I forget the brand but GC had/has them, I can't even think of the first letter in the name, V-something, maybe? But my heart really wanted a Precision and my fingers wanted a Jazz bass neck.
    "Live and learn and flip the burns"

I rate the Hofner behind my two Fenders and Ric, but it really has its own sound. It is surprisingly a bit more versatile than the Ric.

It'll probably get more playing time when I get it back. It's a gem.
    If we'd known we were going to be the Beatles, we'd have tried harder.--George Harrison

Forum Member

I ALWAYS loved the look of them except I really wish they would have designed that damn fugly control cover with something a little more artful!

Played a few and like the sounds alright.

But my eyes can't get past that rectangle.

So I pick up something else.

50 years on I guess it may never happen.

But the weight and the look.

Here I go again...

Dude, even if you see it as a toy, get one of the HCTs to play with. That rectangle is an easy fix, I'd imagine. There's a real groove to the bass. I guess what I'm most surprised about is its unique growl in treble and lead modes.

It'll probably be Monday or Tuesday before I get it back, and I'm HURTING to play it now.

Me dear old mother always said, "Don't spend money on something new. Dust off what you have. It'll look new." By golly gee, she was 100% correct.

They called me yesterday and said the Rotosound black nylon covered flats I left there wouldn't fit the bass without modification, and apparently lacked grounding, according to the dude, so it hummed loudly. Instead, he's going to put some Elixers on it. I've ordered some Labella's specifically for Hofners. If I don't like the Elixers, I've got it covered.

I am curious to see what your opinion of the elixirs is. I believe a lower tension (flat or round ) string will probably work better for the character of that bass. the Elixirs stay newer sounding longer which many people like. I am not that guy myself. I have a set of Thomastic JF344's on a Jazz bass that are like 12-13 years old at this point. I LOVE them. Not dead, but very old school sounding. for that fat warm sound, you will want some of the "new Zing" to go away.......which may take a while with any string. the elixirs hold that sound for a LONG time.

My opinion, BUT.........I want to hear yours. :)
    Kenny Belmont
    >:^{I)>

Kenny, I agree with you. I wanted flat black nylons, but that didn't work. So I ordered some Labella Beatles flats. I have them in reserve if I can't get next to the Elixers. I like the broken in sound, and I leave my strings on until they break.

I haven't amped it up yet, but we'll see. I don't mind having some top end as long as it's not annoying or tinny.