Thread: Fahk the Macbook; I'm Going Back to My PC

Fahk the Macbook; I'm Going Back to My PC

I love the Macbook for everything but recording. Granted, my screen is too small, but the Mac has an incredibly difficult set up and it's audio settings are not very user friendly. I recorded a batch of songs that came out well from Garageband, but they were time intensive, and I've made better recordings using an analogue plug on my PC.

I found that the free multi track softwares I used on the PC were easier to use for recording, editing, and mixing.
    If we'd known we were going to be the Beatles, we'd have tried harder.--George Harrison

Re: Fahk the Macbook; I'm Going Back to My PC

Quote Originally Posted by ch willie View Post
    I love the Macbook for everything but recording. Granted, my screen is too small, but the Mac has an incredibly difficult set up and it's audio settings are not very user friendly. I recorded a batch of songs that came out well from Garageband, but they were time intensive, and I've made better recordings using an analogue plug on my PC.

I found that the free multi track softwares I used on the PC were easier to use for recording, editing, and mixing.
    Willie, that's the FIRST time I've ever heard of anybody saying a Mac was more difficult than a PC for recording. It's probably where they shine the brightest since the plug-and-play aspects of adding hardware are so smooth and well integrated.

Now, GarageBand isn't meant to be a DAW, it's a fun play around tool, so that may be where you're starting off on the wrong foot. If you switch over to Logic I think you'll be more than pleasantly surprised, and there is YouTube out there for anything you would ever need to do. I'm happy to help you with MAC recording.

If you want to keep the spend down you can try Reaper on the Mac too, I've used it quite a bit.

Recording in Logic is easy:

Insert the track, select the source, select effects or amp models, arm the track and hit record.

Chuck
    "No harmonic knowledge, no sense of time, a ghastly tone, unskilled vibrato, and so on. Chuck is one of the worst guitar players I know" -Gravity Jim

I mucked around on Garageband for several years and I agree with OP to a small extent, but yes, Logic is so many orders of magnitude better than its free relative it is almost impossible to calculate. I mined GB for all it was worth and actually I'm glad that put that time in. Now a real DAW like Logic Pro X isn't all that daunting. It seems like every week I learn something new and if I didn't have the sale of the house hanging over my head for the past year I would have delved much deeper. I've barely scratched the surface and no, the thought of ever going back to PC never once occurred to me. I've been a Macevangelist for far too long. My lips and tongue are well-stained by the kool-aid, I shall not want.
    "Live and learn and flip the burns"

I guess the biggest problem is the size of my screen. It's very small, so the wave forms and menus are small. My Dell has a huge screen. I started out recording on PCs and I found it easy. I love my Macbook for most things, but I'm going back to PC.

Thanks OA for the offer of help.
    If we'd known we were going to be the Beatles, we'd have tried harder.--George Harrison

Longtime Logic user here. I hear you on the small MBP screen. I use my 27” iMac for things like mixing and mastering where more precision and detail are required. But I do much of my tracking on thenMBP. I just upgraded my 2011 MBP to a 2019 MBP. My gripe is the limited number and type of ports...2x thunderbolt in my case....and the need for USB to thunderbolt adapters. And no FireWire. But multiple cores and SSD drive is a definite performance upgrade!

TFF Stage Crew

Quote Originally Posted by dirtdog View Post
    Longtime Logic user here. I hear you on the small MBP screen. I use my 27” iMac for things like mixing and mastering where more precision and detail are required. But I do much of my tracking on thenMBP. I just upgraded my 2011 MBP to a 2019 MBP. My gripe is the limited number and type of ports...2x thunderbolt in my case....and the need for USB to thunderbolt adapters. And no FireWire. But multiple cores and SSD drive is a definite performance upgrade!
    My new studio is based around a 2019 MBP, so I definitely hear you on the ports issue. I actually have four on mine, but once you hook up an external monitor, your audio interface, an external drive and an iLok (which I need for Pro Tools and a few plug ins), you're cooked. I got one of these, which was a HUGE help:

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1

I also bought a UAD satellite (8-core) to run a ton of UAD plugins, and they were smart enough to put a daisy-chain Thunderbolt port on the back. That helped too.

As to Willie's point, I agree about the size the screen. For me, it would be unusable without the separate monitor.