Thread: Sunday Thread--Insomniacs and Night Owls Edition

Sunday Thread--Insomniacs and Night Owls Edition

I have no set sleep schedule. Good morning.

Today is a proud day. My daughter, who has struggled against a medical condition, has had to work hard and study hard, and even had to take a medical leave from her studies--today she graduates with a degree in Health Science. She already has a part-time job lined up but is looking for a full-time gig.

It's also a day of relief. Whew. I knew she'd make it, but I had private fears along the way.

My son is in from LA. He's here for the holiday season, and we're all celebrating the graduation today.
    If we'd known we were going to be the Beatles, we'd have tried harder.--George Harrison

Re: Sunday Thread--Insomniacs and Night Owls Edition

Congratulations to you and your daughter, @ch Willie! A great way to begin the holiday season!

Today, I'm the opposite from you; I slept a marvelous eight hours last night. I did something yesterday I hate to do: I ran in the rain. It was either that or not get enough exercise for a number of days straight, and I have a goal I'm working toward.

I'm on a Beatles kick these days, pulling out old "goofy" songs of theirs: When I'm Sixty-Four, Octopus Garden, Maxwell's Silver Hammer, Obla-di Obla-da, etc. The Beatles were the biggest influence on me picking up the guitar, and it turns out I still have the voice to sing these songs (or so I think). I'm also learning them on ukulele, so that when I go visit my daughter and family for Christmas, and give my granddaughter the uke I bought for her, I'll have some tunes to show her.

I plan on a lazy Sunday. I'm going to second service at church this morning, and then will spend the rest of the day playing. Or not.

Congrats. It's always cool to see our children meet another life milestone and succeed at it. Today we'll be putting out the Christmas lights - "fake" candles in each window. I switched to LED bulbs last year and am really happy with the results. I also have them set up with a remote so I just hit one button and they all go on and off. I'm trying to set it up for Alexa to do it, but so far I can't get enough smart plugs to work right. Then, if the driveway is dry I have to test out a Segway electric scooter that I got to evaluate. It looks pretty cool - 40 mile range and will go twice as fast as my riding mower. I'm gonna break my neck...

"We catched fish and talked, and we took a swim now and then to keep off sleepiness." Mark Twain

Forum Member

Weather is back to normal for a while, the grand daughters visiting from Alaska are enjoying getting out and having fun.
    I have to drive down to Deming, and meet a guy, and deliver a SS Peavey. I'm still getting replies from the CL adds I put up to raise cash when my bride had surgery. The trip will also get me to an old friends neighborhood, so I'll go see him, he's been bugging me to come by and wants to give me some bullet casting equipment he no longer uses.

Well, I haven’t slept much the last three days after having prostate surgery on Thursday since I was gifted with a Foley catheter that will be in place for two weeks. I’m hoping I can get used to the damned device otherwise there are several sleep deprived nights ahead of me.

It looks like our next few days will be sunny and somewhat cold but the plus of it is there will be no snow so my wife won’t have to take care of removal. Another blessing of the surgery is an activity restriction until healed.

Rock on my friends!

Congrats to ch willie's daughter! Good luck wit that catheter, Laker. Yuck!

We just picked up our daughter last night. She's been going for her master's all the way across the country. She has one more semester left. Our son is just finishing his first semester back in school and has one more left as well!

It's sunny here, but windy as heck! We'll be indoors decorating the Christmas tree with our daughter.

night owl and lazy slut here, I stayed up late and then slept 9.5 hours. In my defense I was up super early on Saturday to meet friends for breakfast at 8:15. I then worked on emptying closets upstairs and toting the stuff to the garage. My left knee is not very happy with me at all. I'm going to have to ice it today and tonight. And keep on going. I can't believe it's only 10 days to christmas and 17 to NYE. We were supposed to have the house ready by the end of the month and that's plainly not going to happen.

I've started packing stuff from the music room as well. Last night I boxed up the guitar necks for projects waiting for completion. I really should keep going on that today instead of football. I can't believe I slept so late, I was hoping to have a car load ready to take to the storage facility by now but I guess I needed the rest.

hard to believe that just 2 weeks ago we got a snowstorm that dumped 18 inches of white cement on us and now 90% of the backyard is clear again but I'm not complaining.
    "Live and learn and flip the burns"

Congrats on your daughter's achievement, Willie! Mine just turned 16, is doing really well in high school and we're on the path for her to get her driver's license soon. I'm a bit nervous about that!

Winter has finally set in. I spent last week in DC, so was still relatively "mild" compared to here in the Deep North. Counting down the days until we head to Florida (after Christmas) for a week to visit friends.

Spent most of the weekend mixing and mastering a bunch of tunes we recorded at my band "practice" (practicing for what, I'm not sure, we don't gig). Got some decent live off the floor multitrack with my Presonus SLIII/16R interface. Everything is close mic'd aside from an overhead condenser on the drums. Still working out the particulars, but the results so far are encouraging.

Here's a sample: https://soundcloud.com/user-55910460...ll-mix/s-X4rGa. Critiques welcome, but go easy on us! I'm on cowbell and backing vox (no joke). I'm playing pedal steel on other more down-tempo tunes.

I'm easing the lads into really nailing the arrangements, our parts, backing vox. As you can see, we're pretty loose to say the least! And we need to work on keeping volume in check to get more separation/less bleed between mics.

Once we have the audio more or less figured out, I'm going to start doing video as well. Idea is to get to a "Scary Pockets"/"Band Geek" kind of product up on YouTube. Rationale is WAY more people will see us perform like that over the course of a year than ever will on any gigs we might do. We're all done with the gigging life but still want to get that performance rush.

Quote Originally Posted by Laker View Post
    Well, I haven’t slept much the last three days after having prostate surgery on Thursday since I was gifted with a Foley catheter that will be in place for two weeks. I’m hoping I can get used to the damned device otherwise there are several sleep deprived nights ahead of me.

It looks like our next few days will be sunny and somewhat cold but the plus of it is there will be no snow so my wife won’t have to take care of removal. Another blessing of the surgery is an activity restriction until healed.

Rock on my friends!
    Here's to a quick recovery, Laker!!