Thread: The crap we keep

The crap we keep

well, maybe it's just me. I've got a pack rat gene I inherited from my mom, I swear. My dad certainly had no bones about throwing stuff away, especially if it wasn't his. Today I was emptying out plastic storage containers to reuse them for packing to move. One container had the box set cartons for Eric Clapton's Crossroads, Led Zeppelin's first box set, Muddy Water's box set and Robert Johnson's box set. Beautifully done boxes, nice slick booklets. And I probably haven't looked at them in 30 years. It was slightly bittersweet to toss all that stuff into the recycling cart but dayum, I just can't bring myself to schlep them to wherever else I end up living in the not so distant future. I've been doing a lot of that kind of unburdening lately. I wish it felt more liberating than it does. I suppose if I were wanting to leave here and move to a place I desired more, it would feel better.
    "Live and learn and flip the burns"

Re: The crap we keep

If you have a Goodwill store in the area you can haul a lot of stuff there and donate it. I make a run each year to get rid of clothing, pots, pans, tools, etc that I don’t need. It gives you a tax deduction each year.
    Quote Originally Posted by DanTheBluesMan View Post
    well, maybe it's just me. I've got a pack rat gene I inherited from my mom, I swear. My dad certainly had no bones about throwing stuff away, especially if it wasn't his. Today I was emptying out plastic storage containers to reuse them for packing to move. One container had the box set cartons for Eric Clapton's Crossroads, Led Zeppelin's first box set, Muddy Water's box set and Robert Johnson's box set. Beautifully done boxes, nice slick booklets. And I probably haven't looked at them in 30 years. It was slightly bittersweet to toss all that stuff into the recycling cart but dayum, I just can't bring myself to schlep them to wherever else I end up living in the not so distant future. I've been doing a lot of that kind of unburdening lately. I wish it felt more liberating than it does. I suppose if I were wanting to leave here and move to a place I desired more, it would feel better.

we're doing that, too. My grandmother's old furniture is probably early 20th century, the bureau is may be worth 3-4 hundred dollars ... if you can find a buyer. As much as I hate it, I might sign up for facebook (using a burner email account, of course) and see if I can't get a nibble. Kind of unlikely with the holidays just around the corner and peeps are spending on presents.

Forum Member

I think it's a way not to make decisions. Both here, and at the shop, I have saved so much stuff that even if I know I have it, I'm not sure where it is! We have been cleaning out the house in preparations for our daughters visit, and both of us had to decide what to get rid of.

Quote Originally Posted by Bill Moore View Post
    I think it's a way not to make decisions. Both here, and at the shop, I have saved so much stuff that even if I know I have it, I'm not sure where it is! We have been cleaning out the house in preparations for our daughters visit, and both of us had to decide what to get rid of.
    oh, geez, it sure is. That's another gene I apparently got, the procrastination gene. The whole family has that one big time. I'm doing it now, lol

That's nothing! When my dad passed away in 2005, and after I'd cleaned out his house, his neighbors decided I "needed" some of his belongings I had left behind to sell.

A truck carrying 800 lbs. of boxes, cartons, and assorted wrapped bundles arrived. I unloaded it into my garage and then had to tote every last piece to my basement, since my wife would be parking in the garage.

Nearly 15 years and three moves later, I still have every box. They are stored in a shed, an attic and in a side room. I've opened a few, and wondered to myself, "Just what am I going to do with all this cr@p?" Then I close the boxes up and leave them until next time.

Please. Call me a shrink.

I always put amp and guitar parts that I might need in separate little containers. The rest of the little things I have is stuff that needs to be thrown out. But I learned from my Dad, who was no hoarder, that you wind up needing some things, hard to always know. There's nothing more infuriating than throwing away something and needing it six months down the road. Chances are, I'll be moving and downsizing, so I'd better get harsh with the task.
    If we'd known we were going to be the Beatles, we'd have tried harder.--George Harrison