Thread: The Who. I'm comfortably surprised

The Who. I'm comfortably surprised

I never really cared for The Who, save for the Leeds version of Sparks.

Man, I just listened to their latest album, entitled "The Who" (2019).

What a surprise, though I can explain (no pun intended).

I never was a real Who fan. All right, I dig Tommy for the concept and all, but generally, I mean, meh. However, gentlemen, listening to an album by some of the folks who actually were there and did that in the good old days, man... It was like tasting a thick, warm homemade toast with a generous load of Flora margarine spread on it for breakfast.

Deliciously true sound. That was for real. I've been kinda full of hard feelings about the last 2 decades when it comes to rock and roll, and seeing these guys do the thing just like in the old days really made me happier. This album, alongside Greta van Fleet's fresh work will keep me going for another lapful of years.

Re: The Who. I'm comfortably surprised

I think it's the best albums they've done since before Keith Moon died. Probably since Quadrophinea (spelling?). I'm excited about this record because it sounds like one that I'll play for many years.
    Last edited by ch willie; 12-08-2019 at 06:38 PM.
    If we'd known we were going to be the Beatles, we'd have tried harder.--George Harrison

Quadrophenia... Don't be too hard on yourself, it's actually more organic to Romance Language speakers like yours truly hahahah

As a student of mine once said to me, "You sure do use big words."
    If we'd known we were going to be the Beatles, we'd have tried harder.--George Harrison

I was big into The Who in the 80s. Watched "The Kids Are Alright" about 100 times. When I was 16, we had a band called "The Who II". I played drums at the time and tried to be like Keith. The only part I got down was ruining drum kits!

I have to admit my fandom died down in the last couple of decades but every time I put on Who's Next or Live at Leeds, I get drawn back into my 1980s self!

Forum Member

The only song of their's I've ever like was "Who Are You".

I consider "Who's Next" to be one of the top-ranking R-n-R albums of all time. "Goin' Mobile" and "Won't Get Fooled Again" are two songs I never tire of hearing.

True story: I saw the Who live in concert at the Merryweather Post Pavilion in Columbia, Maryland on Sunday, May 29 1969. One thing I saw that brought me down a little bit was that the equipment they trashed at the conclusion of the show wasn't the gear they'd play with all night, but cheap replacements. The other thing I remember was the opening act was Led Zeppelin. In my opinion, Who put on the better show.

A brief recap of the show was printed
    here.

I believe that concert was what caused them to ban rock concerts for a few years. Merriweather... so many memories. I saw a few Allman Bros concerts there that were incredible. I understand Hendrix was unbelievable there.
    A good, screaming Strat just might be the greatest guitar sound of all..... -Slash

I frankly was turned off by the Who back when they were first starting out and would smash their instruments on stage. It was like, here I am, busting my ass working to support myself and trying to squirrel some money to purchase an amp or new bass and those idiots were smashing instruments and amps that I could only dream about. I really found their music uninspiring and flat.

Forum Member

I too don't feel the need to trash instruments, but it was a "thing" back in those days.
    In the 70's our guitar player on a few occasions loosened the neck screws on a cheap guitar, and "smashed" it in the middle of a jam, with tape playing crashes, and fuzz. He could get several "shows" on one guitar!
    We also incorporated "flash" power and lights timed to an opening power chord, and piped the smoke machine into a dead amp during a long guitar solo, that distorted more as the smoke grew.
    Fun times!

I've always had mixed feelings about the Who. I love the individual musicians and think they're some of the very best in rock, but was always a little underwhelmed by the band as a whole. I was a rock and blues fan and was not turned on by orchestration other extravagances (I still prefer rock to be stripped down). I loved them when they rocked though!

Quote Originally Posted by Don View Post
    I've always had mixed feelings about the Who. I love the individual musicians and think they're some of the very best in rock, but was always a little underwhelmed by the band as a whole. I was a rock and blues fan and was not turned on by orchestration other extravagances (I still prefer rock to be stripped down). I loved them when they rocked though!
    Back in the 70's, The Who were a force to be reckoned with. A Who concert could be like a life changing event for some people. I am still in awe of a Who concert I saw back then. We used to go see everyone, but going to see The Who was something special. You had to be there....
    A good, screaming Strat just might be the greatest guitar sound of all..... -Slash

Quote Originally Posted by concert410 View Post
    Back in the 70's, The Who were a force to be reckoned with. A Who concert could be like a life changing event for some people. I am still in awe of a Who concert I saw back then. We used to go see everyone, but going to see The Who was something special. You had to be there....
    I'll bet! I'm basing my opinion on recordings, which is unfair to the band.

Listen to Live at Leeds and you'll hear a great live album that captures the band at the height of Tommy fame. But they rock the shit out of their earlier stuff and covers such as "Summertime Blues." It's probably my favorite Who album.

long loved The Who. I particularly think their album Quadrophenia is one of the outstanding albums of the 20th century. Who's Next is probably a top 10 all time rock album. Live at Leeds and especially the song Magic Bus, should be required listening in schools to teach the children what real rock sounds like.
    "Live and learn and flip the burns"

Quote Originally Posted by DanTheBluesMan View Post
    long loved The Who. I particularly think their album Quadrophenia is one of the outstanding albums of the 20th century. Who's Next is probably a top 10 all time rock album. Live at Leeds and especially the song Magic Bus, should be required listening in schools to teach the children what real rock sounds like.
    I'm right there with you on Who's Next and Live at Leeds. Somehow, they never grow old.

Rock-n-roll anthems. Both of 'em.