Thread: 60’s style cooled cables...

60’s style coiled cables...

Are you experienced?

Do they tangle much?
    Last edited by S. Cane; 01-05-2020 at 04:58 PM.

Forum Member

Re: 60’s style cooled cables...

Quote Originally Posted by Sérgio View Post
    Are you experienced?

Do they tangle much?
    These?

Very cool...red coiled cable.
    I have decided to be happy because it's good for my health.

Quote Originally Posted by mikesr1963 View Post
    These?

Precisely!

Forum Member

Precisely!
    Ok. Pictured is an old Fender coil cable on one end it had a 90 degree plug, but it was one of the cheap ones and I replaced it. It will get kinked up when you just throw it into a case but standing and play it's fine. It's heavier per foot than a straight cable because of the coils. If you bounce around it may pull out of your guitar. The coils can get out of whack and what I mean is a coil can kind of unwind and look weird. You can fix it by sort of uncoiling it and letting it recoil. On Musician's Friend they have a newer model in black and it's longer. I've seen on sale twice at a decent price and if I bought another that's one I would get and it's like 30 feet. But that's stretched out, so it would be more like a normal cable at that length only with coils. Hope you find the one you like.

I have one in black that's probably 40 years old. It was the only cable I had when the only amp I had was my Pignose 7-100 Portable.

I recall reading many years ago that coiled cables went out of favor because their length and structure caused degradation in the signal between guitar and amp. I could be mistaken, but that may be the reason you don't find them common these days.

Forum Member

I have read that some use the curly cords to purposely cut high frequencies. The theory is that the coils create a capacitance in the signal.

Quote Originally Posted by Bill Moore View Post
    I have read that some use the curly cords to purposely cut high frequencies. The theory is that the coils create a capacitance in the signal.
    I think that was more of a side effect of what was the standard cord back in the day and now that we know they affect high frequencies, coiled cords are used and even designed for that purpose.

Can you imagine the amount oh high frequencies Hendrix lost with his coiled cords and bypassed wah? I now keep an un-modified Vox wah for the sole purpose of cutting high frequencies with cranked Marshall style and and would like to try a coiled cord as well.

I've actually considered building a buffer that would have the same effect as a bypassed wah.

Dammit, I just noticed that the title of my thread is typoed. It's supposed to read coiled, not cooled.

I believe there will be little effect from capacitance if you have a guitar with active electrics. My G55 Line 6 wireless has a button on it to simulate the effect of a longer guitar cord.
    Dammit, I just noticed that the title of my thread is typoed. It's supposed to read coiled, not cooled.

Quote Originally Posted by Laker View Post
    I believe there will be little effect from capacitance if you have a guitar with active electrics. My G55 Line 6 wireless has a button on it to simulate the effect of a longer guitar cord.

Indeed, but all my geetars are passive

i grew up with those. Couldn't switch to straight cables fast enough. nothing so much about the sound but the dreadful inconvenience of the coils snagging on everything and themselves.
    "Live and learn and flip the burns"

I have some and for me they're for a single purpose. You see, those things are HEAVY - and if you play an SG or Les Paul double-cut they balance out the "neck dive" built into the damn things. Works like a charm. I run it into a straight extension which connects to the rig.
    "No harmonic knowledge, no sense of time, a ghastly tone, unskilled vibrato, and so on. Chuck is one of the worst guitar players I know" -Gravity Jim

Quote Originally Posted by Offshore Angler View Post
    I have some and for me they're for a single purpose. You see, those things are HEAVY - and if you play an SG or Les Paul double-cut they balance out the "neck dive" built into the damn things. Works like a charm. I run it into a straight extension which connects to the rig.
    LOL, I didn't think about that. My SG doesn't have the worst neck dive but it does get a little headstock droopy at times. Those milk bottle Grovers aren't helping, I'm sure.
    "Live and learn and flip the burns"

I must have had cheap ones. Mine always got shorts in them. I love the looks of them though.
    If we'd known we were going to be the Beatles, we'd have tried harder.--George Harrison

Ok, I got one. Let's see if I get tangled

You know, Sérgio, I actually found myself getting LESS tangled up with a coiled cable. But make no mistake, they're heavier than straight cables, so don't be surprised to feel some drag on your instrument...