Thread: 20th Anniversary Squier Strat

Forum Member

20th Anniversary Squier Strat

Picked this up recently off line. Made in 2002, it came with a couple of dents and scratch but, overall it sounded good and would hold tune. So the clean up and upgrades begin. Got rid of the dirt from whoever never washed there hands. For crying out loud I just don't understand this and how it's ignored. Ewe. Opened the hood and check the pots and work and measure to spec so I'm keeping them. Stock Squier pickups sound fine and I've got experience in dialing them in. Applied shielding to the body and pickguard and added an on/off switch for the neck pickup giving it the 7 pickup options.

Forum Member

Re: 20th Anniversary Squier Strat

Waaay back in the day I shielded guitars like that.
    Don't anymore.
    Do you feel it helps on that particular one?
    Was it real bad on that?
    Bigger question, did you find it helps a lot?
    I do a lot of P90's and a few Strat/Tele and I just don't notice the need anymore with wiring being better overall.
    And when it is bad in some other location I just crank down the volume after a song.
    But I used to do it a lot and still have a shit-ton of copper sheeting laying around....

Forum Member

Re: 20th Anniversary Squier Strat

You know, I really don't pay that much attention to it. Takes about an hour and I've always liked the way it looks. It's copper tape. I even do my humbucker guitars because it looks killer. The first two I did 20 years ago I had to do with copper thick copper foil. I would cut it to fit, use double sided tape to attach it to the body of the guitar, and then solder all the seams together. From there I would clean it so the copper shined and the solder shined like chrome. That would take me about 8 hours.
    Quote Originally Posted by renderit View Post
    Waaay back in the day I shielded guitars like that.
    Don't anymore.
    Do you feel it helps on that particular one?
    Was it real bad on that?
    Bigger question, did you find it helps a lot?
    I do a lot of P90's and a few Strat/Tele and I just don't notice the need anymore with wiring being better overall.
    And when it is bad in some other location I just crank down the volume after a song.
    But I used to do it a lot and still have a shit-ton of copper sheeting laying around....