Thread: Ukes, Anyone?

Ukes, Anyone?

I thought about posting in the "What Have You Bought Guitar-related" thread, but since this is more of a query and opinion lead, I think a separate thread is more appropriate.

Every time my granddaughter sees my KLŌS guitar, she wants to play with it. Since it's carbon fiber, the worst she can do is throw it out of tune (she's six). While I was shopping at Lidl the other day, I saw they had acoustic guitar sets for $49.99 and ukuleles for $14.99 (US). At first, I thought of the guitar, but then remembered my first stringed instrument - a ukulele I got from a souvenir shop in Hawaii! So, I sprung for the uke.

Look, I know it's a cheapy thing, but she's six and sometimes has the attention span of a golden retriever puppy. I think for a Christmas morning gift, it will be received with great glee. After that, who knows?

So I was thinking how I might encourage her. I have printed off some sheets of ukulele chords (in standard tuning: GCEA) and I'm thinking of getting her a tuner (but probably will ask her dad to just download a tuner app - she has her own tablet). Being a bit of an overboard type of person, I was thinking of adding a ukulele to my stable. I frequently see the D'Addario Grateful Dead ukes on sale at Musician's Friend's Stupid Deal of the Day, and even if I look elsewhere, the cost of most is under $100, and I can probably swing that easily.

How many of you play ukulele? Do you think my plan has merit? What would you recommend that I can hold my granddaughter's interest in playing music?

Re: Ukes, Anyone?

I love my uke! I have a solid wood Kala concert that I bought myself as a Christmas gift a few years ago. It plays well, sounds great and stays in tune.

I'd avoid the cheapest models only because they tend to not stay in tune very well and the bodies are often assembled without kerfing. The top and back are simply glued to the edges of the sides and the bodies falls apart with any abuse. I imaging you could spend well under $100 (hopefully, under $50) or something that's a little sturdier.

Although, I have a tuner for my uke, I think I'd just use a tuner app.

Quote Originally Posted by Don View Post
    I love my uke! I have a solid wood Kala concert that I bought myself as a Christmas gift a few years ago. It plays well, sounds great and stays in tune.

I'd avoid the cheapest models only because they tend to not stay in tune very well and the bodies are often assembled without kerfing. The top and back are simply glued to the edges of the sides and the bodies falls apart with any abuse. I imaging you could spend well under $100 (hopefully, under $50) or something that's a little sturdier.

Although, I have a tuner for my uke, I think I'd just use a tuner app.
    That's quite a coincidence, Don. And because I don't believe in coincidences, I'm even more impressed! On another browser tab at this very moment, I'm looking at a Kala Soprano Uke at Sweetwater! My hope is that in six months, when my granddaughter turns seven, I can "upgrade" her to a better instrument if she continues to show interest.

Dang, you people can be most persuasive! I just ordered a Kala KA-15 Concert Uke Bundle from Sweetwater. It will be a birthday present for my granddaughter when she turns seven next July.
    Last edited by OldStrummer; 11-30-2019 at 11:57 AM. Reason: Added Ukulele Purchase

I have been annoying ukes for several years.

Heaps of fun.

'Got a ukulele' is a great website for tips and reviews.

Take care, stay well brother.
    I have decided to be happy because it's good for my health.

Quote Originally Posted by Frat Rettle View Post
    I have been annoying ukes for several years.

Heaps of fun.

'Got a ukulele' is a great website for tips and reviews.

Take care, stay well brother.
    Cool site, thank you!

Forum Member

My grandson visited last year, and brought his AE baritone Uke. I guess I never thought much about them before, I set him up with a practice amp that had some overdrive, and he sounded pretty good. Played the tune he won a state award for representing his school, classical music from a Uke!

I bought my first ukulele while in Hilo on vacation in 2007. The joy of getting my mind to know chord fingering without imagining the "capo on the 5th fret" stuff made me happy.

By 2011 I was giving ukulele lessons... mainly to youths, but also to adults -- sometimes the parents of the kids in group lessons. Kala makes wonderful ukes. Their budget Makala line is remarkably great for the costs.

Beginning uke realities: material matters more than with acoustic guitars. If you prefer the traditional Hawaiian tone, solid Koa is the standard, beyond rosewood. Solid mahogany can work nearly as well, as does Acacia. Acacia is the same tree, the same wood as Koa, but Koa is unique to the Hawaiian Islands. The lava-based soil imparts a unique tone to the wood.

Hand-made solid wood ukes are the top... factory made solid wood ukes follow. Laminate wood ukes tend to cost less than $200, but there are some (few) worth while under $100.

While I started teaching, Makala created a line of plastic bodied ukuleles with laminate wood tops, called Dolphins. With better strings (Aquilas, among others), these $50 and less ukes are amazingly good. Makala followed with a similar uke called a Shark, with the biggest difference being the matte finish of the paint rather than the gloss of the Dolphins. All in a huge variety of colors and with the resilient laminate tops and plastic bodies, they work great outdoors, at the beach, and in ice rinks (I used mine there).

Think of the quality of guitar you might provide, the ukulele will cost less, but needs thought. Barry Maz's website Got A Ukulele is a terrific guide.
    Education is when you read the fine print. Experience is what you get if you don't. -- Pete Seeger