Thread: Playing Music Alone or With a Band?

Playing Music Alone or With a Band?

Today, I'm planning on taking the acoustic just to work on some melody ideas. Then, I've got an idea for a song on an electric piano. I've got a few hours of housework, so this will be a reward.
    If we'd known we were going to be the Beatles, we'd have tried harder.--George Harrison

Re: Playing Music Alone or With a Band?

I've dreamt (and still dream, sometimes) of playing in a band. I stood in one Sunday at church and had a blast, but when I thought of switching to bass to play with them regularly, I gave up on the idea. I'd still like to play guitar in a band, but there's something just soul-satisfying about playing in the comfort of home, where I can sing, soar, goof and noodle all I want.

It's been 41 years since I've played in a band, not counting the pig roast jam about 15-16 years ago (if somebody were to tell me it was 20, I'll be bummed but not shocked). I mean a band where you met regularly, usually once a week or more often, to rehearse and not just jam. I'd still like to do that and it was the reason why I signed up for Facebook back in '09, trying to see if I could re-connect with my old bandmates, which never happened.

For now, I'm playing by myself, learning how to record. That is an entire pursuit in its own right. I enjoy it very much and it sucks that I'm in the midst of trying to get the house ready to be sold and have to pack all my gear up. I don't know when or even if I'll have a place to set it up when I move. It's not like our city library has a studio that patrons can go in and lay down tracks, although I did read about such a place once.
    "Live and learn and flip the burns"

I played in a duo in college 40 years ago and in church for a couple years in the early 90's. My main musical outlet has been solo acoustic things. I've always heard the songs in my head in a band setting and would love to hear them with all the harmonies and instruments as I imagine them. I got there a bit with the work I did last year with Charlie Karp, but that was still recording and not gigging. I'd love to be in a band, but they'd have to have a lot of patience because I may have the songs, but I suck!
    "We catched fish and talked, and we took a swim now and then to keep off sleepiness." Mark Twain

Forum Member

Playing out was always a lot of fun, but I'm not sure I would be able to spend the time necessary now to get the music to a level that we used to be. Our R&R band was popular back in the day, but we rehearsed twice a week, and worked out tunes nobody really liked except the crowd!
    There aren't many venues here anymore, just a few small bars, and coffee shops that have solo/duo acts.