Thread: Jamming at 3am

Jamming at 3am

I have a terrible sleep schedule, usually waking at 2am and going back to sleep at 5am.

Most often, I play the Martin; none of my amps has a headphone jack. But 3am is when I'm ready to rock. Sometimes, I just want to plug in the Tele, crank up the amp, and write and play. Imagine--I live in a quiet and "respectable" suburb. Occasionally, my older neighbor will say, "Heard you playing yesterday. Sounded good." I never play above 3 on the Deluxe, even during the day. Neighbor said it wasn't loud.

There are a lot of musicians in this town. If I had the dough, I'd open a rehearsal space for bands and solo players. It'd be a great place for musicians to meet. It would be an attractive thing for those like me who are "acquainted with the night" (Robert Frost).
    If we'd known we were going to be the Beatles, we'd have tried harder.--George Harrison

Re: Jamming at 3am

I'm torn on that. On one hand, I do tend to be night owlish myself. Staying up until 2 or 3 is way too easy for me. It's the getting up in the morning part that's problematic. At the moment I'm unemployed, on disability so I technically don't have an obligation to get up 'early'. Some people's idea of early is 4:45, other's 6:30. Both of those are way too early for me yet I've done them in the past and don't miss them in the slightest.

but I also know a lot about physiology and am aware of the importance of sleep. Yes, there are people who claim to only need 2 or 3 hours per night. Supposedly Thomas Edison was like that. But how many people are TE's in this world? Besides, it appears that he wasn't exactly the easiest person to get along with. I know that I need my sleep it's just that my preference for when to start and end that necessary function don't exactly fit in with society's norms.

I suppose if I were to spend my day doing all my music stuff then I could get to bed earlier and get up at a quote unquote more normal time. I think I still feel as if I should be doing something, whatever that something may be, to earn my keep so to speak. That is a conflict for me as well. I liked being able to do the things I used to do, I'm not happy with being disabled.
    "Live and learn and flip the burns"

I'm sorry, Dan. I appreciate your positive attitude through it all. I guess music keeps us keeping on.

My sleep has always been disturbed and fitful. I seem to get sleepy late afternoon and don't often doze so that I can try to sleep at night. It's a struggle. I've tried all kinds of natural meds and Lunesta, Trazadone, and now Ambien extended release. At least with it, I find it easier to fall asleep after I've been awake a couple of hours.

I am really glad to have the quiet hours of the morning to play the acoustic. I need to get more structured about it if my sleep is going to remain in this pattern.
    If we'd known we were going to be the Beatles, we'd have tried harder.--George Harrison

Have you ever thought about one of the personal headphone amps Available? A person can plug in and crank up the guitar without disturbing anyone. https://voxamps.com/product/amplug/

Quote Originally Posted by Laker View Post
    Have you ever thought about one of the personal headphone amps Available? A person can plug in and crank up the guitar without disturbing anyone. https://voxamps.com/product/amplug/
    I can do that, but i like to play along with a drum track. Nah, it's best if I just play acoustic during those hours. I'll have some good times this weekend to play guitar loudly.

I would love to play through an amp in the middle of the night. The desire to play is strong at that time. I can almost get away with it!

Quote Originally Posted by Don View Post
    I would love to play through an amp in the middle of the night. The desire to play is strong at that time. I can almost get away with it!
    I lived way out in the country in deep woods for six years. Sometimes, I'd put my Bassman 50 half stack on the front porch and play my electric through it, all fuzzed out. It echoed against the hills and through the hollers. My uncle lived two miles away and could hear it plainly. I couldn't play worth a shit in those days, but I had fun!

here it is, 2:17 in the morning and I'm trying to convince myself not to go to the studio and play around with the new pedal. Not entirely sure I'll succeed.

Quote Originally Posted by DanTheBluesMan View Post
    here it is, 2:17 in the morning and I'm trying to convince myself not to go to the studio and play around with the new pedal. Not entirely sure I'll succeed.
    Right with you, bud.

How did it sound?

eh, I actually opted to go to bed. I know, not very exciting