Thread: Guilty 60s/70s Pop Hit Pleasures

Guilty 60s/70s Pop Hit Pleasures

Ray Stevens, The Streak
    Eric Carmen, All by Myself
    Herb Alpert, This Guy's In Love
    Anything by Abba
    If we'd known we were going to be the Beatles, we'd have tried harder.--George Harrison

Re: Guilty 60s/70s Pop Hit Pleasures

I could name the Carpenters.

but I like 80s music, that’s way worse.

"Crystal Blue Persuasion" Tommy James and the Shondell
    "Indiana Wants Me" R Dean Taylor
    "Dizzy" Tommy Roe
    "Harper Valley PTA" Jeannie C Riley
    "Spinning Wheels" Sammy Davis Jr

these are just some of the 45s the neighborhood kids and I used to sit around playing on summer afternoons, with an extension cord out the living room window and the portable record player in the front yard under the shade of the young maple tree we had planted out there. There were many more and a whole lot of Motown tunes, too numerous to count.
    "Live and learn and flip the burns"

Forum Member

Donavan. SunShine Superman, Season of the Witch

Ray Stevens had a number of classic hits: King of the Road, England Swings, Guitarzan, etc.
    Strawberry Alarm Clock: Incense and Peppermints
    The Beatles: When I'm Sixty-four (A song I've recently re-added to my repertoire)
    New Vaudeville Band: Winchester Cathedral
    The Vogues: Five O'Clock World
    The Statler Brothers: Flowers on the Wall

Well, I have to add a somewhat melancholy post here. With a little background.

Some of you may be familiar with the name Steve Goodman. If not, here's a short bio: Goodman was born in Chicago, Illinois, became a moderately successful singer-songwriter, and died at the youthful age of 36 of leukemia. He may be best remembered for penning the song "City of New Orleans," which became a Top-20 hit for Arlo Guthrie in the early 1970s. It has subsequently been re-recorded by numerous artists.

Chicago Cubs fans know the name because his song, "Go, Cubs, Go" is played at the end of every home game win. He also wrote "A Dying Cubs Fan's Last Request" and "When the Cubs Go Marching In." His sense of humor was evident in many of his songs: "Chicken Cordon Blues," "Somebody Else's Troubles," "I Ain't Heard You Play No Blues," and the reason for this post: "You Never Even Call Me By My Name."

Fellow singer, songwriter and country-western artist David Allan Coe, who is sometimes known for his off-color and politically incorrect songs, did a version of YNECMBMN where he mentions Goodman in a talking "epilogue" and speaks of how Goodman had claimed to write the "perfect" country-western song. Coe replies that it was NOT the perfect song, in that no mention was given to getting drunk, trucks, mama, trains, and prison. So, Coe added a verse, and the two agreed that it was now the perfect country-western song. It's a rousing song, and if played in by a band in bar, it seems that everybody knows the lyrics!