Thread: The Sunday Thread for November 17, 2019

The Sunday Thread for November 17, 2019

The quiet between the storms. Or something like that.

I spent last week teaching an online class. I'm doing the same this coming week. I really don't like teaching online, I'd rather be doing it face to face. Modern times, I guess.

So, I spent yesterday running errands and trying out a new burger joint for dinner. My burger consumption has gone way down since I found I had to watch my food more closely. I also don't like fast food restaurants, so this place was in between. A "fast casual" eatery. Overall, it was "meh."

Today, the weather looks grey and wintery, although if we get any precipitation it's likely to be rain, not snow. Church is having a communal dinner tonight, so I might go if just to get out of the house. I plan to vegetate for most of the day. I hope everyone else has a good Sunday!

Re: The Sunday Thread for November 17, 2019

The word for the day today is "Recovery" We had our annual convention this week and I'm exhausted. It is an incredibly fun (joyous) event but as staff we work our a$$es off to make it a great experience for our members. It turned out great. Awesome keynote speakers, great breakout sessions (I did one presentation on advanced school board training and moderated a workshop by an African Drum Group that was terrific - the kids had us all playing along with them). Got home yesterday and slept the rest of the day. May not get dressed today.Starting in a week or so the busy season will start in earnest. Local elections took place and now all these newly elected boards need training so I'm booked pretty much every week night through February (so far). It's nice to be in demand! Have a great week everybody!
    "We catched fish and talked, and we took a swim now and then to keep off sleepiness." Mark Twain

My first Sunday of semi-retirement. I don't have to prepare my classes for the week, don't have to strategize to improve student learning, no rush to do housework. My girlfriend Alicia and I are just waiting until the neighbors have had time to wake, and then we're going to turn on the amps and plug in. I'm going to show her a very simple lick to get into a groove.

I wish you all a great day.
    If we'd known we were going to be the Beatles, we'd have tried harder.--George Harrison

We woke up to no heat for the second day in a row! Yesterday the service guy said the system was air bound. He got it working almost immediately then it worked fine all day. We expect another guy to be here in a few minutes. It's 64 in the house and 30 outside.

My reverb.com order gone wrong is all set now. It too 2-1/2 weeks to get the wrong amp (Mesa Express 5:25 1x10" combo described as a 1x12"), packed poorly (though not damaged), a discount for it being the wrong amp and the footswitch and DIN cable that were left out of the order! Reverb had to contact the seller to get this deal wrapped up.
    I have never left or received bad feedback in over 20 years of buying and selling online. I may just list the problems objectively.

We celebrate Thanksgiving with extended family early (today) and turned 10 pounds of empire apples into applesauce yesterday. The beauty of using empire apples is that no sugar is needed.
    Last edited by Don; 11-17-2019 at 08:09 AM.

Forum Member

Last night was the first time I spent the whole night with my beautiful bride since her surgery. I slept great, (I didn't sleep well by myself)!
    Plan on spending some time with my (new to me guitar), I traded my SG for a Strat. I swapped the ugly Warmoth "blue shell"pickguard for an Allparts "Cream Pearloid" makes the unpainted guitar look pretty good.

Getting ready for a houseful of people on US Thanksgiving weekend. We’re in Canada but celebrate the US version as well - just with good friends, no family. I have one of my war buddies coming into town from DC - he was the reason we started celebrating US Thanksgiving in the first place when he visited just after we both redeployed home in 2012.

My task ask for today is building a set of table extensions so we can seat 11 people around the table at once!!! Luckily, the table was built to receive extensions. Unluckily we bought the floor model at a discount and it didn’t come with the extensions!

Also so just finished liquidating the last of my live PA gear to former band mates and just bought a bunch of mic’s and a new 16 channel interface through which to record both of my jamming projects. Test ran the system last night and it works well - or at least it did by having 12 mics set up on one guitar amp!!!

I rented a couple of climate controlled storage units, they're a little further away than optimal but not real far. My main concern was to avoid the pitfalls of losing belongings to poorly controlled facilities that seemingly promote mold growth. I got a smaller unit for my stuff and a larger one for the rest of the house. I've already made my first retrieval of something I had packed away and realized I needed Once we have everything out of the house I may find there's enough room for my stuff in the big unit and consolidate them.

actually played standing up this past week, something I very rarely do. Fortunately I have several light guitars and it might give me incentive to drill the strat body and install strap pins to get another light weight axe. The new flatwounds on the P bass build are still slightly zingy but they're getting less sticky. No, I'm not going to eat fried chicken before playing I'm on the lookout for a case for the bass and a couple cases for the fenders.

it was sunny out but it has clouded up in the last hour. I'm trying to decide on another trip to the storage unit or put up some more lights
    "Live and learn and flip the burns"

Quote Originally Posted by DanTheBluesMan View Post
    I'm on the lookout for a case for the bass and a couple cases for the fenders.

If timing isn't critical, keep an eye on Musician's Friend's
    Stupid Deal of the Day. I've bought a couple of generic wood cases from them in the past. $39.99 when they're on sale.

that's a great idea, but how do you sign up to learn the SDOTD, I don't do RSS readers, whatever those are. (and no, I'm not about to start). I don't do social media either. this is about as close to social media as I get.

that's a great idea, but how do you sign up to learn the SDOTD, I don't do RSS readers, whatever those are. (and no, I'm not about to start). I don't do social media either. this is about as close to social media as I get.
    You can get on the e-mail list and they'll send you the deal of the day, or just check their home page every day. I've gotten a few really cool deals from them - mostly amps and pedals.
    "We catched fish and talked, and we took a swim now and then to keep off sleepiness." Mark Twain

I just have a browser bookmark of the link I posted, above.

Every once in a while, their SDOD becomes a Stupid Deal of the Hour. Then, I click more than once a day.

dang, they aren't kidding

today is a Quilter micro block 45 watt guitar amp in a pedal form. heck, I didn't even know I needed one of those

dang, they aren't kidding

today is a Quilter micro block 45 watt guitar amp in a pedal form. heck, I didn't even know I needed one of those

Thats the spirit!

Normal semi-controlled chaos around here.

I thought I was having ahead attack last night, turned out it was an allergic reaction to the Fabrese I sprayed on the damn bed before I put new sheets on.

Lesson learned, just put the new sheets on like momma wants. Lol.

Cheers my friends, be well.

What happend?
    Who let the magic smoke out?

Quote Originally Posted by CoyotesGator View Post
    I thought I was having ahead attack last night, turned out it was an allergic reaction to the Fabrese I sprayed on the damn bed before I put new sheets on.
    I despise that crap! I'd rather smell the smell it's trying to cover up! Everyone uses it! We get home from visiting and put our clothes straight in the laundry.