Thread: Paperback rocker

Paperback rocker

Having replied to one of Willie's replies here this very evening, I caught myself thinking about some of the threads we've interacted at.

I remember having read him write about the Beatles and how they "hard" rocked. Back then that lead me to a sour argument with Miami Mike about our own views on Lennon's approach to music and poetry.

But nevermind, this just made me remember that since I was a kid, I paid attention to "Paperback writer".

Not only because of the addictive guitar riff, which is awesome given when it was written, but also because of the Lyrics. That "Dear Sir or Madam" always made me think of a typical 60s couple...

...and of the sneaky, dirty, magazines I'd read back then, full of Sirs and Madams doing everything but listening to the Beatles. But that's another story.

Great song, and yes, the Beatles did hard rock back then.

What's your favorite hard Beatles song, and why?

Re: Paperback rocker

Right now, I'd say it's "I've Got a Feeling" off Let it Be and I Want You (She's so Heavy) from Abbey Road.
    If we'd known we were going to be the Beatles, we'd have tried harder.--George Harrison

Re: Paperback rocker

Quote Originally Posted by ch willie View Post
    Right now, I'd say it's "I've Got a Feeling" off Let it Be and I Want You (She's so Heavy) from Abbey Road.

I second the I Want You (She's So Heavy) and also The Weight from Abbey Road. Also, if you go back to the Beatles' beginnings, they did some Chuck Berry covers, and two of them made it to "official" releases: Roll Over Beethoven and Sweet Little Sixteen. Some of their early originals were quite the rockers: I Saw Her Standing There, Long Tall Sally, Twist and Shout, Taxman...

I posit that it was hard rock that "made" the Beatles. Sure, they could generate syrupy sweet songs that made the girls swoon, but coming on the heels of the hip-shaking Elvis (incidentally, the Beatles also did a cover of Hippy Hippy Shake), it was their biting, hard edge, honed in the Cavern Club in Hamburg, that brought them to the fore.