Thread: No, it's not.

No, it's not.

Re: No, it's not.

Maybe the cat is an Einstein in his world.

https://www.basicmusictheory.com/e-s...-key-signature

The same people who call it E# also refer to B#(which added to the gag on the Simpsons.)
    "No harmonic knowledge, no sense of time, a ghastly tone, unskilled vibrato, and so on. Chuck is one of the worst guitar players I know" -Gravity Jim

There are two rules for creating a major scale.
    1) It has to consist of consecutive letter names, so, for example, you cannot have two E's or two B's
    2) It must follow the pattern T T S T T T S

If you start on F#, you get: F# G# A# B C# D# E# F#

In that context, you cannot call the E# an F because that would break rule 1. If you did, and you tried to spell out the triads for the key of F#, you would get into weird trouble. Try the C# scale and see what happens. Same diff.

However, if you don't care about the context of key as it works in tonal music, they you can call it whatever you want.
    "The beauty and profundity of God is more real than any mere calculation."

Doc, I think you also forgot that depending on the key there are either sharps OR flats next to the cleff. And rule #1 is you never mix them. In other words, in the key of G you would never refer to a flatted note.
    "No harmonic knowledge, no sense of time, a ghastly tone, unskilled vibrato, and so on. Chuck is one of the worst guitar players I know" -Gravity Jim

Forum Member

Maybe his guitar is tuned down a half step.

Forum Member

Buck Owens!
    "Together Again" is in C# but Buck, and Don would tune up so they could use the"Cowboy D" position and concentrate more on their vocals.

Quote Originally Posted by Bill Moore View Post
    Buck Owens!
    "Together Again" is in C# but Buck, and Don would tune up so they could use the"Cowboy D" position and concentrate more on their vocals.
    When I was a kid growing up in Nashville, I thought Buck Owens was a toupee wearing joke. I was sooooo wrong. I love Buck Owens and listen to him every once in a while. Roy Clark too!
    If we'd known we were going to be the Beatles, we'd have tried harder.--George Harrison

Forum Member

Buck helped lot of folks get a start in the business. Back in the day, my friend Alvin and his buddy went to Bakersfield and auditioned. When they got back, John's draft notice was waiting for him. A few weeks later they got a call back, but Alvin didn't go because John couldn't. Alvin hooked up with a road band, and was pretty popular for a while until his dad talked him into helping with his new business. I always thought he may have been a "Somebody" had he gone back after the audition.