Thread: Thread for Sunday, November 10, 2019

Thread for Sunday, November 10, 2019

Brrr. We've had a snap of cold weather in this neck of the woods. Yesterday, I went out for my morning run and it was 25°F. Good running weather! It's above freezing as I type this, but still chilly. It may get into the fifties today, but the forecast for the upcoming week is more of chill.

Not much happening around here. I may go to my daughter's for a visit, but that's up to her and the family. My grandkids were both sick this past week, so they've been living in quarantine. We'll see. No more baseball, so I won't be watching any sports on TV. Likely, I'll be playing guitar a bit and perhaps watching Netflix. I'm teaching software both this week and next, so today is really my "down time" before then.

Hoping everyone has a good Sunday!

Re: Thread for Sunday, November 10, 2019

It got cold here, too. Today is going to be spent putting summer yard gear away and getting snowblower and snow tires out. Then I'll continue trying to reorganize the music room. It looks like it blew up. Our association's annual convention is this week so that will be the main focus - making sure that our members have a great experience. Also, got an invitation to join the Board of Directors for "Discovering Amistad", the not for profit that runs the ship, Amistad. They vote on my nomination on Thursday, but I've been told it's a done deal. That is exciting. The ship has a compelling story to tell.Have a great week!
    "We catched fish and talked, and we took a swim now and then to keep off sleepiness." Mark Twain

I'm lucky to have a decent job, but after 30 years of teaching, I'm starting to slip and have had a terrible semester. I'm tired. I still love teaching, but the administration is making it tough on me. I'd retire if I could. I have to work a lot today to get caught up and back on top of things.

Meanwhile, I'm also lucky to have a warm home, and I'm privileged to have people who love me and whom I love. Oh yeah, and music and music and music.
    If we'd known we were going to be the Beatles, we'd have tried harder.--George Harrison

Forum Member

Not bad here, 60's yesterday, high 30's last night, supposed to get another cool down in the middle of the week.
    Drove over the mountain yesterday to meet a guy in TorC and traded my SG for a Strat. My bride went with me, and we drove down and looked at the lake while we were killing time. She got out and walked around a few times while traveling, so her hip wouldn't start bothering her.
    Pistol/shotgun shoot today, I'll try to keep the younger guys from getting a big head, my nephew took the last match!

I'm sick of the cold already!

We're wrapping up our cleaning project (15 yard dumpster) and it looks pretty good. We're taking tomorrow off to recover.

Unfortunately, I'm still dealing with a sale gone somewhat wrong on Reverb! Next Tuesday will mark 2 weeks since I received a different amp than advertised (about $100 less in value), packed poorly (no damage to the amp) and missing the footswitch and cable (hard to find used and over $100 new). I'm pretty flexible and would've been fine if the seller would've just communicated and shipped things when they said they would. Hopefully that will be settled this week.

It's in the mid 30° range and overcast here today, but at least most of the snow from last week has melted off so we'll maybe try to get some more leaves off of the lawn.

Went to see a local theater group's presentation of "Momma Mia" last night and enjoyed it very much. An old friend had one of the lead roles so it was interesting watching him on stage.

Quote Originally Posted by ch willie View Post
    Meanwhile, I'm also lucky to have a warm home, and I'm privileged to have people who love me and whom I love. Oh yeah, and music and music and music.
    Something we should all keep in mind. Thanks!

Early winter onset here as well - we're supposed to get a dump of snow tonight and tomorrow. I usually go out for a motorcycle ride on Remembrance Day (tomorrow, 11 Nov, aka Armistice Day which is a federal holiday - for us federal employees) and then stop by a cenotaph somewhere to pay my respects but I don't think the motorcycle is going ANYWHERE for a while. I'll just walk down to the local cenotaph for the ceremony there.

Went to put the winter tires on yesterday and damnitall, I couldn't find the lug nut key! May have to acquiesce and bring the car to the shop to get them to cut off the existing key lug nuts and install the winter tires. ARGH - I hate paying the dealer for something that I could normally do myself.

But, yeah, warm and cozy in the house so things could be much worse. Daugher is baking chocolate chip cookies right now!

Headed over to my old drummer's house this afternoon to help them set up a digital mixer I'm selling them. I retired from that band two years ago and offered them my gear at a deep discount so they could keep on rolling. Well, after using their practice space PA for gigging for the last two years, I think they realized it's time to upgrade. They happened to hook up with a high-profile frontman and a top-notch fiddle player so I believe they're needing to up their game for PA. Either way, an extra several hundred bucks in my pocket that I'm sure I'll squander before the end of the week! That's the last piece of gear I've got from those days - sold the powered speakers/stands, rack units (power, headphone amp, SansAmp RBI) and even cables separately. I got pretty good deals for all that gear, used it for three years every other weekend and sold it all for almost as much as I paid for it. I'd say I did well!

Part II

Been on a gear buying blitz now that we're mortgage free - got myself a new 16 ch Presonus digital interface for doing band recordings and a new-to-me Gold Tone LS-6 lap steel. And a new Rode condeser mic for my studio....upgrading from a cheap Audio-Technica and even cheaper Apex condenser mic. I have a feeling either Line6 Stomp or a cheap shredder guitar is in my near future.

Spent the better part of the week troubleshooting the Presonus digital mixer software on my MacBook only to find that the latest release of the recording software was buggy with the latest version of MacOS. So I downloaded the previous version of the mixer software and, voila, it works!

I brought the Gold Tone lap steel out last week to my regular jamming band - the frontman was off so I handled some of the frontman duties and played the Gold Tone instead of pedal steel. We played Mercury Blues (Lindley version) which I sang fine but which I totally botched on lap steel since I was tuned to Open D (DADF#AD) instead of E (or even F, which is the key Lindley recorded his version in). So, this morning I spent some time retuning the lap steel to E and learning the Lindley licks for this song. I think the boys will be impressed next week!

Quote Originally Posted by Laker View Post
    It's in the mid 30° range and overcast here today, but at least most of the snow from last week has melted off so we'll maybe try to get some more leaves off of the lawn.

Went to see a local theater group's presentation of "Momma Mia" last night and enjoyed it very much. An old friend had one of the lead roles so it was interesting watching him on stage.
    Cool! My daughter's theatre group did Mamma Mia last spring. She did a great job playing the Tanya character.

I went over to a friend's house last night for a pot luck supper and a group of us went to see the Garcia Band Project. They pay tribute to Jerry's solo band work by replicating shows in their entirety. 5 piece band, keys, female vocalist, drummer, bassist and guitarist. Part of the show is to guess which show they are replicating. I guessed somewhere between '76 and '78. The keys had a Keith flavor, the guitarist was using a Travis aluminum neck guitar and yes the female vocalist as well. The answer was a 1976 show someplace in CA. Nifty little venue called the Rochester Opera House. Had forgotten how small Rochester is, impressed that they had an opera house at all.

We met with the realtor lady again this week and it looks like we're shooting to list the house in early December. I've looked at a storage unit that seems like it will be perfect and will probably get one or two units reserved tomorrow. we're looking to have a level 2 staging which means a lot of our furniture will be out of the house over the next few weeks. Sadly it looks like I'm going to have to pack away my guitar gear and studio stuff until I've got a new place. It could be months before I get to do anything again. I'll keep a guitar and amp, probably the Tele and Princeton Reverb and a tuner just so I don't go out of my flipping mind.

Chilly here as well and got some stupid cold coming this week. Rh has dropped to 20%. I have a standing offer to go play guitar today but I really need to get some work done and the humidifier is one of the projects.
    "Live and learn and flip the burns"

Quote Originally Posted by dirtdog View Post
    Cool! My daughter's theatre group did Mamma Mia last spring. She did a great job playing the Tanya character.
    Neat, my friend played the Bill character. I was surprised how many local players we have that have great singing voices.

Forum Member

dirtdog, find a 12 point socket you don't care about that will just start on the lock. Drive it on, and take it off!

Quote Originally Posted by Bill Moore View Post
    dirtdog, find a 12 point socket you don't care about that will just start on the lock. Drive it on, and take it off!
    Thanks Bill! That's exactly what I'm gonna do!

Got myself four spare keyed lug nuts just tonight to replace the ones I mangle. Supposed to be above freezing on Thursday so I'll wait until then...

Of course we got 6" of snow last night and driving on the all-seasons today was a treat!

Forum Member

Great, I got that knowledge from a lot boy at the dealership I worked for. (There was some question as to his character, but I thought he was loyal to those he worked with!)