Thread: Fender Road Worn Jazz Bass:

TFF Stage Crew

Fender Road Worn Jazz Bass:

I dont play bass, but I thought this was an incredibly low price for a good looking Jazz Bass:
    https://seattle.craigslist.org/tac/m...657394507.html
    What should I look for if I give him a call?

Ten miles from the Mexican Frontier, in Arizona

Re: Fender Road Worn Jazz Bass:

Nice bass! And priced to move. Assuming all-stock trim and no signs of abuse or neglect, I'd jump on it. Give him a call.
    "When injustice becomes law then rebellion becomes duty."

Forum Member

I'll bet it's a nice player, I really don't get the "road worn" thing though.

Quote Originally Posted by Bill Moore View Post
    I'll bet it's a nice player, I really don't get the "road worn" thing though.
    And why you pay extra for a guitar that looks like it's been dragged behind a pickup truck.
    Striving to be ordinary

Proud to be a TFF Dumbass!

Ten miles from the Mexican Frontier, in Arizona

As "relics" go, that one is significantly more tastefully done than most. And if one plays often in a high-threat environment (as featured in the film "Road House") it only makes sense to leave the expensive gear at home and let a cheaper instrument face the slings and arrows.
    "When injustice becomes law then rebellion becomes duty."

I own three of these - two in sunburst - 2005 and a 2006. I also own a 2014 I think......going by memory - whatever the last year for rosewood fretboard was. It has a slightly larger neck but not unmanageable.

One i have is the BEST bass I own - and I DO get the relic thing. it felt like one of my favoite pair of jeans when I got it, and now IS my favorite. The wear I put on it made this feel like I have owned it a lot longer than 14 years or so.

There are many like it - but that one is mine......

I would probably jump on it also - even with the pao fretboard (looks like it to me). I have a RW strat with Pao - plays fine - I just haven't had a need to change necks for rosewood on it.

Resale should be easy if you don't like it.
    Kenny Belmont
    >:^{I)>

TFF Stage Crew

I have sent out an email. If I hear back, I will post

Not sure if this will show. My hosting acct is kind of wonky.

https://flic.kr/p/2p1gg8L
    https://flic.kr/p/2p1gg8L
    http://https://flic.kr/p/2p1gg8L
    Kenny Belmont

TFF Stage Crew

Those are some nice looking instruments! The finishes have a kind of "soft" look.

Quote Originally Posted by Cogs View Post
    Those are some nice looking instruments! The finishes have a kind of "soft" look.
    I think so also. I believe that the factory finish is an accelerated start on the journey......not "instant fake old" as some may elude to. The one on the left has been my #1 for the past 13-15 years. I kind of lost track. The one on the right is a first generation that sat mostly unused. I JUST added the dress up kit and intend to play it in also.
    https://flic.kr/p/2p1aMaW

Funny you mention the soft look - I had a classic 60's sprayed in nitro. I thought it was supposed to be a road worn without the road wear. I was wrong - different animal, I didn't bond with the feel.

things to look at on the one you are looking at of course neck, nut and fret condition, but also truss free movement, damage on pickguard that may indicate improper adjustment/damage, and electronics. I consider the pickups low output, but that isn't a problem for me. I make up for that at the amp.

I had an opportunity to sit in with Bob Margolin and he said this looked, felt and sounded like his 64. He played it for a few songs and sounded great.
    https://flic.kr/p/2p1g288
    Kenny Belmont

TFF Stage Crew

It's been just over 24 hrs since I reached out, so I think its safe to assume that the bass is gone, considering it was "priced to sell' & the ad is 2 wks old.
    This sucks, because I didn't want a bass in the first place, but now I want a bass.
    I caught myself perusing Ishibashi for a nice used Fender Jazz. Not a good sign
    On the positive side, there's a good number of them available for about the same price, before shipping

It's been just over 24 hrs since I reached out, so I think its safe to assume that the bass is gone, considering it was "priced to sell' & the ad is 2 wks old.
    This sucks, because I didn't want a bass in the first place, but now I want a bass.
    I caught myself perusing Ishibashi for a nice used Fender Jazz. Not a good sign
    On the positive side, there's a good number of them available for about the same price, before shipping
    I don't know what some of your preferences are on bass sounds, neck feel, weight restrictions, etc.
    I already know your not afraid to spend what it might take to get a quality piece of equipment.

That said, keep an ear open for response from the seller. Also look into talkbass.com sometimes some very nice things show up there cheaper than reverb, the bay, etc......

shoot me a note on email if I can be of any help. also on Fb
    Badjujublues@gmail.com
    Kenny Belmont

TFF Stage Crew

Steady Rollin' Bob Margolin!
    I'll drop you a line if I find something that needs clarification