Thread: Frosty November Sunday Thread

Frosty November Sunday Thread

Hard frost on the ground this morning. Today is a huge day for me. My half brother is bringing my mother up from New York to meet for the first time. I expect a fully emotional day. Wish me luck!
    "We catched fish and talked, and we took a swim now and then to keep off sleepiness." Mark Twain

Re: Frosty November Sunday Thread

Cool Nick.

Just roll with it and take it for what it is, an interesting day. Follow your nose.

Chuck
    "No harmonic knowledge, no sense of time, a ghastly tone, unskilled vibrato, and so on. Chuck is one of the worst guitar players I know" -Gravity Jim

Good luck, Nick. This will be good however it turns out.

It's cold as fu*k;
    There's frost on the grass
    But I've got warm drawers
    To cover my ass.

Thank you.
    If we'd known we were going to be the Beatles, we'd have tried harder.--George Harrison

Good luck, Nick! Hope everything goes well!

It's summer down here, hot morning.

Good luck and hope the visit goes well GJ!

After a couple of days of snow (around 5 inches total) we finally had a day where it melted and I could try to get some more leaves off the lawn yesterday. Today is a lazy day enjoying friends and food.

Forum Member

I'll bet you hit it off great, that's pretty exciting.
    No frost here, had some a couple of nights last week. I picked most of the green tomatoes the day of the first freeze, (19 deg!), yesterday I found a few more hiding that were OK.

Good luck, GJ

hard frost here as well, probably dang close to a real freeze. saw a yard sign for fall cleanup and going to call them today. Fortunately most of the trees here are bare after two weeks with storms of substantial winds in the middle of them.

Temporarily without insurance coverage on the car, policy in my mom's name expired thursday and the underwriters still hadn't finished the new policy before business close friday. I don't drive without insurance, period. I refuse to be one of those people. Thus I didn't get to the store to buy candy so the cat got a break from the numerous doorbells this year (trick and treat was moved to last night because of the weather on thursday). Sorry, kids, I'm not spending 20 dollars on Uber to get to the store for your sugar snacks

hopefully I've turned the corner on the knee rehab. Thursday's jaunts around Boston went well, if not a little soggy and windblown. I've walked 60 minute equivalents (my usual walks routes albeit slightly slower pace) two days in a row for the first time in over 2 months. More importantly, my weight is heading in the right direction. Now I've got to resume the work around the house there is much to do and things are happening on the sale front. Lawyers. Insurance. Inspectors. Realtors. It's going to get real and real soon. I'm going to have to throw myself into it so I don't fall into a funk now that the daylight savings is over. I wish it stayed that way all year.
    "Live and learn and flip the burns"

Frost! Yuck! The cars had frost on them yesterday and today. I need to bring up the scrapers and snow brushes.

We have a 15 yard dumpster at our house for the next 2 weeks. My son just scrapped 4600 pounds of scrap metals and brought 1600 cans and bottles to the redemption center. We're giving away several pieces of furniture and other items. We've got an electronics recycler coming for all the old computers, printer, dehumidifier... A cleaning crew just did a deep cleaning of the place and we're hiring a house keeper and a landscaper!

BTW, if anyone is interested in a 1960s Hammond L100 organ, I'm giving one away. If it's still here in a week it's being torn down and scrapped.

Oh, and I have 5 guitar boxes as well. All free.

Let me know If I shouldn't mention these things here.

Quote Originally Posted by Don View Post
    Frost! Yuck! The cars had frost on them yesterday and today. I need to bring up the scrapers and snow brushes.

We have a 15 yard dumpster at our house for the next 2 weeks. My son just scrapped 4600 pounds of scrap metals and brought 1600 cans and bottles to the redemption center. We're giving away several pieces of furniture and other items. We've got an electronics recycler coming for all the old computers, printer, dehumidifier... A cleaning crew just did a deep cleaning of the place and we're hiring a house keeper and a landscaper!

BTW, if anyone is interested in a 1960s Hammond L100 organ, I'm giving one away. If it's still here in a week it's being torn down and scrapped.

I had the hardest time getting rid of an L-100. I finally got somebody through Craig's list. I had to help him put it in his Toyota 4 Runner. He should have paid me!
    "We catched fish and talked, and we took a swim now and then to keep off sleepiness." Mark Twain

Can't beat that for a Sunday update! Enjoy it no matter what happens. Remember, this is part of YOUR personal discovery!

We had our first freeze two nights ago. A benefit to the cooler weather is that running becomes that much more enjoyable. I came back from a run yesterday and my mile times were much faster than I'd expected. It wasn't even the best run of the week, in my estimation.

This area's been in a frenzy this week, as the World Series trophy was home for the first time in 95 years. It will start to die down this week, and people will start bickering and arguing again. Too bad the good vibes can't last longer!

Wishing everyone a day. What you make of it is up to you!

Good luck @gibsonjunkie. Family situations like this can be trick but I hope you have a good outcome!

Spending time today configuring a new recording rig - updated my MacBook Pro to a more recent model and have a new Presonus 16R on the way. Got myself a new mic as well - the Rode NT1-A. Seems pretty decent. Gonna year drive the rig at this weeks partial rehearsal. Front man is MIA for a couple of weeks so the rest of us are going to jam and set up the recording stuff.

As luck would have it, the new USB C ports on my new MacBook Pro need a couple of adapters to work with the new Presonus interface as well as my older Presonus SL1642 mixer. What a pain!

Cold,!wet and blustery here today as well. We have the furnace AND the fireplace going today.

Quote Originally Posted by Don View Post

oh no, don't tempt me. does the L100 work?
    "Live and learn and flip the burns"

Quote Originally Posted by DanTheBluesMan View Post
    It did the last time I fired it up. I can try it. I know it needs work, though.

Quote Originally Posted by DanTheBluesMan View Post
    Many years ago a friend was playing an L100 through a Leslie and that sucker sounded great. There’s nothing like an old tone wheel Hammond. I have an RT3 in my family room.

My mother and brother just left. We had a really nice visit. Learned a lot about her and her life for the last 67 years. Laughed some - cried a lot. Met my brother - seems like a really nice guy and we're determined to stay in touch. A good day all around!

Hey, gj. That's great to hear. Really glad for you.
    If we'd known we were going to be the Beatles, we'd have tried harder.--George Harrison

Quote Originally Posted by gibsonjunkie View Post
    My mother and brother just left. We had a really nice visit. Learned a lot about her and her life for the last 67 years. Laughed some - cried a lot. Met my brother - seems like a really nice guy and we're determined to stay in touch. A good day all around!
    (Where's that freaking "thumbs up" icon?)

Great to hear that, Nick!

Quote Originally Posted by gibsonjunkie View Post

Im kind of in the same boat.

I was was introduced to my half brother last December.

I had no clue, just a tearful tale of how things unfolded in 1962.

Nuture v nature.

Yeah.

There is is no doubt that he is my brother.

Too many similar paths, too many similar interests.

I wish you you the best.

I Have a SO that I worry about her reaction.
    What happend?
    Who let the magic smoke out?

Quote Originally Posted by CoyotesGator View Post
    Im kind of in the same boat.

I was was introduced to my half brother last December.

I had no clue, just a tearful tale of how things unfolded in 1962.

Nuture v nature.

Yeah.

There is is no doubt that he is my brother.

Too many similar paths, too many similar interests.

I wish you you the best.

I Have a SO that I worry about her reaction.
    Funny... he is embracing this whole thing and is delighted to have a brother. His wife is freaking out, though and doesn't want him telling their kids...