Thread: Oscar Schmidt (by Washburn) Guitars

Oscar Schmidt (by Washburn) Guitars

I didn't want to hijack this thread, so I'm starting this one because the Oscar Schmidt Delta King image posted by @mikesr1963 really caught my eye. Not that I'm looking for a(nother) 335, but because I was astounded at the price!

Checking on
    Reverb, I see there are quite a number of Oscar Schmidt guitars, including Strat-types, LP-types and the assorted semi-hollowbodies, as well as ukes, basses, autoharps, acoustics, banjoes and more. Holy cow, that's a lot of instruments!

So, what's the deal on these? The guitars are listed as "hand made," but their prices are astoundingly low. There aren't a lot of specs on them (neck profile, pickup types/models), but they look good. Are they "beater" guitars? For beginners only? Given the variety and the long
    history of Oscar Schmidt, I'm surprised that more isn't known about this brand.

Or have I been living in a cave, and am the only one NOT familiar with them?

Re: Oscar Schmidt (by Washburn) Guitars

not sure, maybe I'm in the same cave. I have only the vaguest familiarity with the OS name, never seen one before today's post as far as I can tell. but yes, that price is astounding.
    "Live and learn and flip the burns"

Quote Originally Posted by DanTheBluesMan View Post
    not sure, maybe I'm in the same cave. I have only the vaguest familiarity with the OS name, never seen one before today's post as far as I can tell. but yes, that price is astounding.
    There are a couple of mom-n-pop music stores nearby that are listed as sellers. I may go stop in and see what they're about. According to the article I linked above, "By the early 1900s there were five Oscar Schmidt factories in Europe as well as one in Jersey City." It also states, "The company philosophy is based on quality materials and modest prices. Oscar Schmidt guitars fill the gap between expensive top-end guitars made by makers such as Martin, Taylor and Gibson and cheap beginners’ guitars." Which tells me a little, but not a lot, about them.

Forum Member

Hey there, I've been out of town for a few days watching the grand kids and just got back. It was made in 2005, it's a semi hollow with the block down the middle with a bolt on maple neck (OE-30SH). A number of people, on another forum I go to, were getting them and reported a wide variety of quality levels but, for $99 new, I gave it shot. I guess I got one from a good manufacturing day. It didn't have fret issues, or issues taking a setup. Complaints were that the pickups are to hot and access to the lower frets is more difficult. Currently, I have chrome/flat-wound D'addario, 10-46 strings on it, which I think sound pretty good. You can still get new ones from Amazon from $200 to $300. It's not a Epiphone Sheraton or Gibson 335 but I enjoy it a lot for 99 dollars.