Thread: Your Favorite Semi-Hollow Guitlar

Your Favorite Semi-Hollow Guitlar

I've lusted after a specific model of the 335 for a long time, but it'll be a long time before I find one and can afford it.

What's your semi-hollow preference(s)?
    If we'd known we were going to be the Beatles, we'd have tried harder.--George Harrison

Re: Your Favorite Semi-Hollow Guitlar

I think if I were to get one I'd go for something like the 339. From what I understand it is same construction but scaled down body size. Or I'd find something in the Guild line or B&G Lil Sister type.

Actually, both Yamaha and Ibanez make quite a variety of semi-hollow models so I'm actually pretty flexible, unlike what I would be for a solid body.
    "Live and learn and flip the burns"

I've got an ES-335 that I really like. They're all a little different (sometimes a lot), so just because I like mine, doesn't mean it'd suit anyone else. In fact, I ordered mine online, and when I pulled it out of the case, I didn't like it. It looked great and played well, but the sound was bright, tight and twangy- kinda like a Telecaster on steroids. I expected the warmer, woodier tone that I had experienced with some ES-335s. Then I used it with a band. Wow! It cuts like a knife. Awesome guitar with a band. Makes me wonder if I really knew what I wanted in the first place!

My other semi-hollow is a Guild Blues 90. It's an awesome guitar! Huge neck. Feels like putting on your pajamas after a long day. Nice big frets. Fat sound, not very hollow sounding, though. It's chambered mahogany and has no F-holes so it's a completely different beast. The P90s are a Duncan Custom Bridge and Duncan Hot neck. I put a Duncan Antiquity neck pickup in it and it sounds much better. I think I'll keep the high output bridge pickup.

I have a Gibson Memphis ES-335 that is really sweet! I bought it as an update to my old 1957 Gibson ES-225. I like the 225 because it's lighter, but the 335 has more room to move, given its two pickups versus the 225's one (Gibson did make a two-pup 225, but mine is not one).

Quote Originally Posted by OldStrummer View Post
    I have a Gibson Memphis ES-335 that is really sweet! I bought it as an update to my old 1957 Gibson ES-225. I like the 225 because it's lighter, but the 335 has more room to move, given its two pickups versus the 225's one (Gibson did make a two-pup 225, but mine is not one).
    I have a 2 pickup ES-225TD. It's a great guitar. Much lighter in weight and fatter sounding than the ES-335. I little "looser" sound due to it being fully hollow rather than semi-hollow.

Quote Originally Posted by DanTheBluesMan View Post
    I think if I were to get one I'd go for something like the 339. From what I understand it is same construction but scaled down body size. Or I'd find something in the Guild line or B&G Lil Sister type.

Actually, both Yamaha and Ibanez make quite a variety of semi-hollow models so I'm actually pretty flexible, unlike what I would be for a solid body.
    I tried ES-339s and didn't find them to sound as "hollow" as the ES-335, probably due to the smaller size. There are a lot of great options available. My $349 (new!) Epiphone ES-335 Pro was a really nice sounding guitar. I also had an Epi Elitist ES-335 Dot and a Hamer Echotone. Those were both nice guitars.

I love the looks and the sound but they’re generally wide bodied, big guitars. I’m a small dude, so I feel awkward playing them.

Quote Originally Posted by Sérgio View Post
    I love the looks and the sound but they’re generally wide bodied, big guitars. I’m a small dude, so I feel awkward playing them.
    I don't know. Marty McFly looked pretty good playing a 335!

Quote Originally Posted by Sérgio View Post
    I'm just over 5'8" and find the fit to be good, but I might be at the lower limit- or maybe I think it looks less goofy than it does. In any case, I've gotten compliments about the "big red guitar" from people who know nothing about guitars.

Forum Member

I had an Epi 335, and liked it, and it's sounds, but sold it to a jazz player.
    I'm after a Thinline Tele, I played one last year, and after wearing it for a while, I like the weight better than my knockoff Tele. Even though I have Texas Specials in mine, the Thinline sounded "fuller?".

Quote Originally Posted by OldStrummer View Post
    I don't know. Marty McFly looked pretty good playing a 335!
    I hadn’t thought of that. Michael J. Fox is about 5’5” just like me.

Hey, guys you don't have to be tall to be a giant on stage. Frampton's a wee lad, Dylan, for example. I'm 6'1"; my Dad was 5'8", and he walked taller than I ever did.

Thanks for the replies. I love knowing what people love in guitars.
    If we'd known we were going to be the Beatles, we'd have tried harder.--George Harrison

Forum Member

This, Oscar Schmidt by Washburn. I got it several years ago for $99. It's killer.

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by mikesr1963 View Post
    This, Oscar Schmidt by Washburn. I got it several years ago for $99. It's killer.
    That's really nice. I've never played a Washburn, but I've known about them for years. Craig Chaquico is a Washburn player.

Quote Originally Posted by mikesr1963 View Post
    Isn't this model fully hollow, rather than semi-hollow?

Technically, this is a semi-hollow body - it's a pretty cool guitar. I do love my ES 335 more, though.

"We catched fish and talked, and we took a swim now and then to keep off sleepiness." Mark Twain