Thread: Sunday before Halloween

Sunday before Halloween

Good day, everyone. Hope you have a great weekend.

I'm struggling with illness, but I'll land on my feet. I always do.

Yesterday, spent some time on my Strat and Les Paul. Really enjoyed playing both of them. The Strat's comfortable. I have to admit, that I go through short spurts of playing the Les Paul, and in my memory, it seems so heavy and awkward to play. Yesterday I realized how memory goes wrong because it's really comfortable to play too. I don't mind a little weight.
    If we'd known we were going to be the Beatles, we'd have tried harder.--George Harrison

Re: Sunday before Halloween

I managed to avoid doing the lawn yesterday and now it's raining all day so I can't

I put my rack cabinet together yesterday - now I need to attach wings to my mixer so it can get installed and I can start to figure out how to best configure all the rack gear.

I'll post phtots later this morning.
    "We catched fish and talked, and we took a swim now and then to keep off sleepiness." Mark Twain

Forum Member

Another pistol shoot today! Will miss my brother in law, they took his gall bladder out Wednesday!
    Guess I'm gonna trade my SG for a Strat, was hoping to find a Thinline Tele trade, but maybe I'll like the Strat. The trouble with commerce in my state is the distance between! We're gonna meet Friday a couple hundred miles from me, (about the same for him!)

Quote Originally Posted by Bill Moore View Post
    Another pistol shoot today! Will miss my brother in law, they took his gall bladder out Wednesday!
    Guess I'm gonna trade my SG for a Strat, was hoping to find a Thinline Tele trade, but maybe I'll like the Strat. The trouble with commerce in my state is the distance between! We're gonna meet Friday a couple hundred miles from me, (about the same for him!)
    I recently bought a 9mm, but I haven't had a chance to shoot it yet. I'll make a trip soon to the gun range. I'm woefully out of practice. Don't worry: I'm very careful and will practice safety first.
    If we'd known we were going to be the Beatles, we'd have tried harder.--George Harrison

Quote Originally Posted by ch willie View Post
    I recently bought a 9mm, but I haven't had a chance to shoot it yet. I'll make a trip soon to the gun range. I'm woefully out of practice. Don't worry: I'm very careful and will practice safety first.
    it doesn't matter how out of practice one is (I haven't been to the range in about a year). What matters is that one ALWAYS keep the rules of gun safety in mind.

I was up early this morning, after going to bed late last night following a disappointing (to me) loss by the Nationals in Game 4 of the World Series. I was awakened by the sound of heavy rain outside my window.

Today is the Marine Corps Marathon, and I am so glad I retired from marathon running! High temperatures (in the 60s or higher) and 100% humidity make for exhaustion and massive discomfort. I am wearing one of my old MCM Competitor shirts today though, in solidarity with those who are braving the course.

Today, I think I'll pull out one of my Les Pauls, seeing as how there are many threads right now mentioning them. The last time I did so, I put it back in the case a short while later. I want to like them, but I'm really a Strat/Tele guy when it comes down to it.

Have a good one, everyone. Trick or Treat!

Phtots of the rack below. I should have also mentioned that this week might be huge deal in my life. I mentioned before how I found my birth mother. She is flying out to see her son next week to tell him he has a brother he didn't know about, and I/m hoping we can get together while she is out here.

"We catched fish and talked, and we took a swim now and then to keep off sleepiness." Mark Twain

Friday we had a friend of my brother who is a real estate agent come look at our house. She seemed pretty enthused at the layout and condition of our house. It really is a pleasant comfortable place, I know I'm going to miss it like heck. We only touched briefly on numbers and they weren't too far off my best case scenario so that was encouraging. There is much work to be done, both on the house and legal and financial information to gather and peruse. More good news is I'm progressing through this knee thing and at least my weight seems to be stable if not higher than my wont.

did a neck swap on a strat build i started last year. the rosewood neck developed fret sprout over last winter and the guitar just wasn't clicking with me. I decided that after restoring my CV50 tele to its original maple neck to try that direction with the strat. I bought a mint, basically unused 2018 Squier MIC CV50 strat neck on Reverb, polished the frets with a full set of Stew Mac fret erasers. Highly recommend those. I also highly recommend their three roll tape dispenser with the three different width tapes. 5 minutes to tape a neck, so nice. A little elbow grease and those frets were slick as ice on wet ice. Totally woke that guitar up made it fun to play and that in turn made it sound so much better. Yeah, that Princeton Reverb didn't hurt either

Rain all day here it looks like. Waiting to hear about a landscaper recommendation from the irrigation guy who winterized the sprinkler this week. Our trees are finally bare but the neighbors are barely begun, same thing every year. I hope to get some orange lights on the bush by the driveway before Halloween. Hope I still have enough to do the job.
    "Live and learn and flip the burns"

Forum Member

Safety is paramount at our shoots, like all USPSA matches, cold range! Only load when instructed, and show clear when the you've finished the stage. We used to have quite a few LE guys shooting with us, we voted for them to stay loaded if they were on duty, after one got called out from the range. He had his duty ammo loaded in separate mags in his unit, but several of us got worried that he could have shown up on the call with an empty gun! We use the same rules at my brother in laws range, and our kids, and grandkids learned how to make firearms safe, (or ready), at a young age.

Growing up, I used to shoot rifles and shotguns at our rod and gun club with my dad. I've wanted to learn to shoot handguns forever and, I don't know why, but I'd love to have a vintage Winchester Model 1873. Of course, bringing a gun into a house with an emotionally disturbed alcoholic is just asking for it...

because of my therapeutic cannabis card I got a letter from the state AG basically saying that now I'm a registered addict to a dangerous substance my second amendment rights are abrogated.

meh, I don't want to go blind. won't be able to shoot worth squat if I do.
    "Live and learn and flip the burns"

Forum Member

There is a hope that soon pot will be considered under the same rules as other medical products. You can have an opioid prescription, and still have 2nd amendment rights!
    My old high school buddy still grows his pot, (now legally), but now can't legally buy a firearm. (He has a cancer).

Quote Originally Posted by DanTheBluesMan View Post
    because of my therapeutic cannabis card I got a letter from the state AG basically saying that now I'm a registered addict to a dangerous substance my second amendment rights are abrogated.

meh, I don't want to go blind. won't be able to shoot worth squat if I do.
    Grrr that makes me angry. Toke on, brother. I use it for anxiety and stomach issues, and I also enjoy the hell out of.