Thread: VOX v 847

VOX v 847

Ok, got a good deal on a Vox v847 yesterday. I wanted to get a Wah that sounded different from my Dunlop Crybaby, less trebly.

The pedal was real cheap as it is pretty road worn. It's a recent model, bottom plate says made in China. Anyway, I tried it and it was full of clicks as the pot was dirty.

Opened it up for a quick straighten with contact cleaner and to take a look at its electronics.

What I saw is that it has been in a custom electrical shop at some point (it had shop stickers inside). I could point out that the pot is a Fulltone-1 and the switch is mexican made. Pretty much everything looks a bit different from what I often see in pictures of open modern China made Vox Wahs. The switch looks identical but it's Mexican made, so no idea if it's stock.

I have no idea if Chinese 847s come with this stuff from the factory. Of course, sent pics to the shop for info, but they won't reply till Monday.

Ideas?

Re: VOX v 847

Damn, wrong section. Mods, could you please move this to the right forum?
    Last edited by S. Cane; 10-26-2019 at 07:24 PM.

Forum Member

Sergio, there are mods to change the sweep on a crybaby, but often just moving the pot a notch or two either way will give the tone you want. I suspect the Vox is similar.

It's hard to say how that pedal might've been modified or if it was just serviced.

I stopped modding wahs a while ago- they seemed to get worse the more I modded them and I realized it was my technique and expectations that were the problems.

I have 3 wahs- a Crybaby mini for when I want to travel light (it actually sounds good and functions well), an older Fulltone Clyde and a stock Vox 847 for when I want to shave a little high end off of a cranked British style amp.