Thread: Found my Mom!

Found my Mom!

I was adopted by two wonderful parents and really never thought much about my birth-parents until recently. I did the Ancestry DNA thing and part of the service is connecting you with people who have a high likelihood of being a family member according to genetic matches. I reached out to anybody who was either a first or second cousin and mentioned who I was, my birth name and date of birth. One responded that he had a cousin who might have more information. I traded e-mails with the cousin for a few days - we shared our stories and after around a week she was comfortable enough to tell me she believed she was my mother. the dates work out and the name I was given at birth matched the name she game her child (although it sounds like I'm actually a year older than I thought I was ). I have two siblings a sister and a brother. We're trying to figure out what happens next....
    "We catched fish and talked, and we took a swim now and then to keep off sleepiness." Mark Twain

Re: Found my Mom!

Wow! What a trip that must be!

Very happy for you, buddy!

It's pretty cool. My daughters are really excited, as is my brother (he was also adopted - but no, we are not natural brothers).
    "We catched fish and talked, and we took a swim now and then to keep off sleepiness." Mark Twain

Something alike happened to me.

When I was a toddler I loved my grandparents and my uncles and aunt. Being at grandma's was like being in an enchanted castle to me. She died when I was 7, though, and my father had a deep disagreement with his siblings, and never spoke to them again nor let me see them.

we lost contact for the most part of my young years. Not a word. I didn't even know where they lived.

when I was 25 I felt that I needed to see them, and sought them out. they welcomed me, and I was very happy for a couple of years, felling like I was that little boy again, having lunch with uncle and aunt, cousins of my age, seeing pieces of furniture and decoration in their houses that I remembered from my grandma's house, meeting my cousins, that were about my age and I had never actually got to be real close to... Magic.

Now, from this point on, Fred, I am in NO WAY discouraging you or saying this will happen to you too: I'm telling what happened to ME, given my circumstances and the people in my family.

Sadly, later on I realised that the magic was mostly in my head and in my heart, and that I'd never be like one of my cousins, who had grown up together with the old folks. I'd be a *place family name here*, but not one of them for real, and then I ended up the relationship with my daughter's mom, other things happened in my life, and as I got busy, we finally lost contact again.

Anyway, it was worth every second I spent with them.

I get that. In this case, I have no expectations - I'm fortunate that my adopted parents were like winning the lottery, so I don't "miss" anything. If we can have any kind of connection, that's great, but at least I have a better idea about my past. I'd like to hear more about my father - hopefully she'll be comfortable enough top share that as time goes on.

Forum Member

My mother died when I was 4. We had been living on the farm with her parents while my dad was in Korea, and my mamaw was always with me. My dad's folks took me after she died, and sent me to the east coast with an uncle and his family until my dad got out of the army. I never saw them again until I was 12, and my dad let me visit, Nothing had changed, my cousins claimed I was her favorite! I ended up living with them for a year or so. I never really thought about it then, but after school we would go to the farm, and chop weeds in the cotton fields. (They of course had hired men to do that!) I realize now that she was teaching me how to work!

Man, I'm so happy for you. I have a half bro and a half sis, but we never thought of them that way. Dad raised them like he raised me and my other brother and showed no favoritism, just love.
    If we'd known we were going to be the Beatles, we'd have tried harder.--George Harrison