Thread: Fender FSR Princeton Reverb 65

Fender FSR Princeton Reverb 65

I was in GC the other day, brought one of my guitars to try out that Marshall SV20C combo that caught my eye/ear back in July. Somebody had said something about the volume controls being interactive even when not jumpering and I had to see for myself. As far as I could tell nothing was happening without a jumper cable. But I got to play with the amp for a while with my guitar and while it was nice, it wasn't 1499 dollars nice. As I unplugged and turned around, the 68 Custom Princeton Reverb caught my eye.

I played that for a while and realized that I had a void in my sound that really only a Fender would fill. I basically grew up playing a Princeton Reverb, having had mine for 32 years before I sold it. It was also 700 cheaper than the Marshall. I thought about it and walked around a little. Then I saw the FSR Princeton Reverb '65 fifteen watt 12" in wine red. Still 500 less than the Marshall plus a 12 inch speaker, something the other two amps didn't have.

Plugged my guitar in and it was obvious immediately. This is what I was looking for. Killer reverb and vibrato (trem). Classic fender sound I know and love. I also know that Sweetwater has these and a better payment plan, which expired at midnight last night. Not only did they have the FSR Princeton Reverb but they had it in tweed cosmetic. It looks like I'll be doing a NAD in about 2 weeks.

It is likely I'll be letting the Princeton NR go to make room and help pay for this. It was always my plan to swap out the 10" baffle for a 12" one anyway. Now I'll have that and reverb and trem too.
    "Live and learn and flip the burns"

Re: Fender FSR Princeton Reverb 65

It got here much sooner than I expected. I almost wasn't home to sign for it. It was brand new unopened box. It made a crackling sound when I first turned it on and nothing was plugged in. I wonder if they even burn these in after assembly or just check to see if the pilot light turns on. Anyway it hasn't made any unwanted sounds since but I'll keep an eye on that just in case.

As far as how it sounds, well, the speaker does need to be broken in. I would guess anywhere from 8-20 hours should do it. I put a good 30 minutes on it with the tele when I unpacked it and another 15 minutes a little while ago with the SG. Man, I need to get a well-treated room so I can do some recording with a mic. This thing is freaking killer. The reverb is surf city at anything above 4, but 2.5 is sublime at its best. The trem is great as well, I want to compare it side by side with my '69 Princeton NR.

With the Tele in the first input and the volume on 3, this thing was loud, as in neighbors calling the cops on you if you get "inspired" at 3 AM and forget to turn it down loud. That might have been the brightness speaking. With the SG in the second input and the volume on 2.75 it was more subdued. But that sound, wow. It should be even better once it is broken in. I figure that will take me about a week.

The crackling noise on startup continued. I made a youtube video (my very first one ever) and sent a link to my sales engineer, who forwarded it to tech support. they called me and arranged for a replacement to be shipped out and a return tag issued. Good customer service by Sweetwater, a lot of people rag on them for excessive calling but you can opt to be on a do not call list.

They said it was going out tomorrow but isn't that a holiday? Whatever, it'll be here soon.

replacement amp showed up at 11:32

put it through its paces with 5 electrics, and it passed in flying colors.

Glad it worked out for you!
    If we'd known we were going to be the Beatles, we'd have tried harder.--George Harrison

the new guy being welcomed by his colleagues

Quote Originally Posted by DanTheBluesMan View Post
    the new guy being welcomed by his colleagues

Princeton Reverb AND a Classic Vibe Tele?!!! WINNING

"...pray do not imagine that those who make the noise are the only inhabitants of the field;
    that, of course, they are many in number; or that, after all, they are other than the little,
    shriveled, meagre, hopping, though loud and troublesome, insects of the hour."

-Edmund Burke