Thread: It Was 50 Years Ago Today, Sgt. Pepper Taught The Band To Play

It Was 50 Years Ago Today, Sgt. Pepper Taught The Band To Play

I became a Beatles fan when I was abroad, living in Thailand in the early 1960s. At the time, Elvis Presley was deemed by many Thai to be akin to a god. I was an Elvis fan. Then came the Beatles.

Even ten year-old me danced the sock hops to Twist and Shout, She Loves You, Please Please Me, Mr. Postman, and more. So, when the final Beatles album, Abbey Road was released on September 26, 1969, just after the hazy, psychedelic dream of Woodstock was resonating, I was in.

I still have my album. It was such an early release that the final track, "Her Majesty" was "hidden." There was no song listing on either the jacket or the album itself.

Billboard has a track-by-track review of the album
    here, with a fifty year perspective to it.

Re: It Was 50 Years Ago Today, Sgt. Pepper Taught The Band To Play

I've heard about "Her Majesty" being an easter egg but I thought it was just on the early CDs, had no idea it was on the original vinyl too. Now that's a treasure piece. I didn't own my own media of any Beatles until 2009, in spite of the fact that I was a fan since Feb 4, 1964

I was too young to buy my own records and by the time I was actually listening to music on my own they had broken up but you still heard them on the radio almost every day.
    "Live and learn and flip the burns"

I still have an original Apple album. Tomorrow the postal service will bring me the deluxe CD box, a three album set and a picture disc. Let’s say I’m a fool.
    If we'd known we were going to be the Beatles, we'd have tried harder.--George Harrison

on a hill?

standing there still?

Quote Originally Posted by DanTheBluesMan View Post
    on a hill?

standing there still?
    Yes, you have no idea how much I am the fool on the hill.
    If we'd known we were going to be the Beatles, we'd have tried harder.--George Harrison

I was about 7 years old when I first played my old man’s Revolver on his Stereo System and thought “man, what’s with this instrument called electric guitar?! I like this!!”

Quote Originally Posted by OldStrummer View Post
    I became a Beatles fan when I was abroad, living in Thailand in the early 1960s. At the time, Elvis Presley was deemed by many Thai to be akin to a god. I was an Elvis fan. Then came the Beatles. here, with a fifty year perspective to it.
    OS, I’m really curious what you were doing living in Thailand in the early ‘60s. My 1st Cavalry unit in Vietnam had a member AWOL in Bangkok for quite a while playing guitar in whore houses and bars to exist. When he wanted to go back to the states he gave himself up and returned to AnKhe. I ended up standing guard on him for a bit and enjoying the cannabis that returned with him.

That’s a story I’d like to hear too.

Btw, Laker, I tried to PM or email you but none of the options are available.

Quote Originally Posted by Laker View Post
    OS, I’m really curious what you were doing living in Thailand in the early ‘60s. My 1st Cavalry unit in Vietnam had a member AWOL in Bangkok for quite a while playing guitar in whore houses and bars to exist. When he wanted to go back to the states he gave himself up and returned to AnKhe. I ended up standing guard on him for a bit and enjoying the cannabis that returned with him.
    My father was an American diplomat, with a specialty in European affairs (he was, after all, born in Germany). I believe it's a practice of the State Department to send career employees into a theater NOT of their specialty, just to give them some polish and experience outside of it. My dad was assigned as Deputy Chief of Mission/Chargé de Affairs to Bangkok in 1960. After two+ years we returned to the States, where he resumed his work in European relations. It's also the reason I attended college in Germany, btw...

ETA: It's in Bangkok where I actually SAW the Beatles in person. Not in concert, as they never played Thailand to my knowledge, but they were passing through with a layover at Don Muang Airport, and a host of kids from the International School of Bangkok (ISB) drove out to scream and wave at their airplane. They stepped to the open door and waved to this bunch of crazy, foreign (to Thailand) kids!

Quote Originally Posted by OldStrummer View Post
    My father was an American diplomat, with a specialty in European affairs (he was, after all, born in Germany). I believe it's a practice of the State Department to send career employees into a theater NOT of their specialty, just to give them some polish and experience outside of it. My dad was assigned as Deputy Chief of Mission/Chargé de Affairs to Bangkok in 1960. After two+ years we returned to the States, where he resumed his work in European relations. It's also the reason I attended college in Germany, btw...

ETA: It's in Bangkok where I actually SAW the Beatles in person. Not in concert, as they never played Thailand to my knowledge, but they were passing through with a layover at Don Muang Airport, and a host of kids from the International School of Bangkok (ISB) drove out to scream and wave at their airplane. They stepped to the open door and waved to this bunch of crazy, foreign (to Thailand) kids!

Schau mal, Willie. Es gibt einen anderen Kerl hier der Deutsch spricht

Ack, I think Sergio is having a stroke

J/K

trying to teach myself German made me realize how little I knew about my own language

Deutschland ueber alles! Nur eine Witz. Aber Ich liebe Deutschland. Ich habe 10 Jahre in Bayern und Nord-Rhein Westphalia gewohnt. Berlin ist meine lieblingsstaat.

I picked this up when I worked for Sam Goody... stuff like this never made it to the floor...

"We catched fish and talked, and we took a swim now and then to keep off sleepiness." Mark Twain

I bet that's worth a pretty penny now. Wow

Quote Originally Posted by DanTheBluesMan View Post
    I bet that's worth a pretty penny now. Wow
    Lots on ebay - $25-$60... this one has never been played - still sealed in bag.
    "We catched fish and talked, and we took a swim now and then to keep off sleepiness." Mark Twain

I have the same Sgt Pepper picture disc. I worked at a Mom and Pop, wound up managing their biggest store, a pretty big store in Nashville back in the late 70s and early 80s.

I started listening to the new mixes of Abbey Road. The sound was already great, and so far, I really like what Giles Martin has done--it's like being in the studio with them. The lead on Something is more present and warmer than in the original mixes.