Thread: the single album band thread

the single album band thread

In my never ending search for cool music, I'm having a lot of fun in collecting and listening to bands that released a single album, toured over it and that was that.

There are some JEWELS out there, some cats that could have gone quite far, if it wasn't for the circumstances...

I'll post them here for you all to enjoy them too.

This morning I listened to Road, a gig that Noel Redding did in L.A. with Rod Richards and Leslie Sampson in 1970, released in 1972.

Re: the single album band thread

Boy, that's a tough challenge, Sérgio! How about bands that had an initial successful album and then released a few duds before breaking up? There are also "offshoots" of groups, such as Blind Faith and Derek and the Dominoes, who only cut one album.

In the former category, I'd have to list a few of my personal favorites: Loosen Up Naturally, by Sons of Champlin.

Young prodigy, 15 year old Jay Kaye (son of legendary Stratocaster player Mary Kaye) released an album in 1969, Suddenly One Summer. Allmusic reviewer Richie Unterberger states, "This sounds like the solo album that George Harrison might have made before he left the Beatles, as several songs have that solemn, spiritual, forlorn quality Harrison perfected on cuts like "Long, Long, Long." With its languid guitars, organ, and somber mood."

Steve Miller cut a double-LP album with Neil Merryweather and a host of guest musicians called Merryweather Word of Mouth.

Alvin Lee (of Ten Years After fame), recorded a gospel-tinged album with Mylon LeFevre, called On the Road to Freedom.

Hittin' the road today with this 1975 album, which is a killer Record! These guys from Minnesota are a damned good power trio

Another one...

Farm, 1971.

Great work.

Oh, btw some of these albums are available for listening on youtube (as videos).

Another very good one I've listened to, Pugsley Munion