Thread: The Coming Death of Just About Every Rock Legend

The Coming Death of Just About Every Rock Legend

The Dylan thread here, and the recently announced passing of Eddie Money (and others) mad me stop and read this article when I saw it posted on another forum. An interesting perspective from someone who describes himself as a GenX-er. But it begs the question, which was posed as a declaration by Neil Young: Rock and Roll will never die. Will it?

https://theweek.com/articles/861750/...ry-rock-legend

Re: The Coming Death of Just About Every Rock Legend

Don't think so.

In a couple of decades it'll be a cult genre, for educated few, like jazz is today.

Jazz was once popular music, and then radio music. The youth dug jazz and danced to it. Now it's almost a genre apart and equal in scholarity of classical music. It's taught in music schools. I strongly recommend Eric Hobsbawm's "A social history of Jazz" or whatever they call it in English.

Rock won't go through the very same path, it is too heterogeneous (you can play rock either using baroque textures or just strumming 4 chords and yelling 3 vowels) but it will indeed endure. Though as a cult genre that not everyone will be interested in knowing, hearing and playing.

Anyway, I'd say we're still a bit far from that.

Just check my thread about modern guitar players. There are plenty of new guy playing the good old time blues and rock out there and making crowds roar. Rock just ain't as youth and radio friendly anymore. And many of us, within the range of 40 to 70 years old, tend to ignore or disregard the new stuff with the regrettable "only the old guys knew what they were doing" attitude.

Forum Member

For me it started December 28, 2015, when Lemmy died. 2016, had many die, and it seems to have been a steady stream of rock and roll hero deaths ever since. But 2016 was the worst.

I’d mourned a lot of heroes, but George Harrison’s death really made me sad. I miss his music and interviews.
    If we'd known we were going to be the Beatles, we'd have tried harder.--George Harrison

Quote Originally Posted by ch willie View Post
    I’d mourned a lot of heroes, but George Harrison’s death really made me sad. I miss his music and interviews.
    It was John Lennon's death more than anyone else's that hit me. I had tickets to see Jimi in Germany when he died, but as shocking as it was (and Janis, and Morrison, to name some others), Lennon didn't flame out as did the others. His was a senseless murder on the streets of New York. Wow.

Until then, I guess I felt the rock heroes I had would live forever, unless they died at their own hands (Cobain, Keith Moon... the list is long). Now, it's just going to be the grim reaper doing his thing...

There's the dying before your time (curse of 27?) but then there's just aging out.

I have a co-worker who's an unabashed rock fan. Texts me any time someone of note passes. It's only going to get more frequent for the '60s/'70s/'80s rock stars.

Quote Originally Posted by dirtdog View Post
    There's the dying before your time (curse of 27?) but then there's just aging out.

I have a co-worker who's an unabashed rock fan. Texts me any time someone of note passes. It's only going to get more frequent for the '60s/'70s/'80s rock stars.
    Hey man! good to see you back!

Quote Originally Posted by Sérgio View Post
    Hey man! good to see you back!
    I ddn't even know I was gone! But then noticed I hadn't posted for a while, so it's good to be back...

Thanks for noticing, Sergio!

Here's another one: Peter Edward "Ginger" Baker, 80. Co-founder of Cream (with Eric Clapton and Jack Bruce) and inductee of the Rock and Roll Hall of Fame as a member of Cream, of the Modern Drummer Hall of Fame in 2008, and of the Classic Drummer Hall of Fame in 2016.

and the bass player who was one of the original founders of Lynyrd Skynyrd also died today, Larry Junstrom
    "Live and learn and flip the burns"

This meme is fairly common on the internet, but it bears repeating here:

”We’re getting to the point where we need to start worrying about what kind of a world we’re going to leave to Keith Richards.”

Quote Originally Posted by smitty_p View Post
    This meme is fairly common on the internet, but it bears repeating here:

”We’re getting to the point where we need to start worrying about what kind of a world we’re going to leave to Keith Richards.”

Forum Member

Hell, at my age it could me dying, tomorrow even. Live your life. You may not have the perfect job, but after work, enjoy you and where your at. Not being rich or famous, but just who you are.