Thread: Gracie Slick's voice

Gracie Slick's voice

Isolated vocals.

Immaculate.

I've always been a fan of Airplane and of hers. Wonderful voice and great attitude. A real woman.

BTW, as you all know, English isn't my mother language and I've never livend in an English speaking country, so I might be wrong but does she have a very slight Irish-like accent?

Re: Gracie Slick's voice

she has very good enunciation in her vocals, never realized how good they were until this isolated track. I thought it almost sounded british..

she was born in highland park, IL about as middle America as you can get.
    "Live and learn and flip the burns"

Quote Originally Posted by DanTheBluesMan View Post
    she has very good enunciation in her vocals, never realized how good they were until this isolated track. I thought it almost sounded british..

she was born in highland park, IL about as middle America as you can get.
    Yes, indeed, I knew she was from Illinois and that was what surprised me, I had never listened to her singing without all the instruments behind and she definitely intonates the Os and the Ls in kind of a Celtic way. At least to my non-English raised ears.

She was a powerful singer and a free spirit whom America ought to be prouder of. I saw her once with Starship, and she belted. Great band anyway.

BTW, I have to admit to a guilty pleasure. I'm probably pretty alone here in this: I LOVE We Built this City, and I sing along with it every time it comes up on my Spotify "great rock" playlist. Hoooooooooooop-lahhhhhhhhhhhhhh
    If we'd known we were going to be the Beatles, we'd have tried harder.--George Harrison