Thread: Ramones, just out of curiosity.

Ramones, just out of curiosity.

Yay or nay?

The Dylan thread made me curious about how you all like them.

They're far from an unanimity, many people love them and many just don't mind them. And I've never seen any reference to that sort of rock here at TFF.

Re: Ramones, just out of curiosity.

when I'm in the mood, I don't mind a little Ramones. I saw them in 1976 in their first ever show in NH at Mount St Mary's high school. There was a multi-band bill. They came out and Joey shouts "1-2-3-4" and an absolute buzzsaw of thunder just about parted my hair. I was like "Uh, are they kidding?". Exactly two minutes later, it stopped and "1-2-3-4" and they played the exact same song. Again. Except the lyrics might have been different. I think I think I might have heard of the band in a magazine from the music store.
    "Live and learn and flip the burns"

Johnny Ramone's "I can't play but damn it, here's what I got" attitude is what draws me to them in the first place

Btw that's a good definition of the early Ramones. One guy with a buzzsaw, another one with a jackhammer, a maniac shouting through a megaphone and someone else bashing on stuff with two sticks.

Forum Member

We did a few of their tunes in the early 80's. as well as the Clash, Pretenders, Cars, Missing Persons, Cyndi Lauper, X, and a few others I can't remember. It was nonstop being the drummer back then! Fortunately after working with a country band in the mid and later 80's, the popular bar music had evolved!
    I still find their music sometimes and listen!

I like the Ramones when I hear them, but I never bought one of their records. Right now, I'm teaching my girlfriend how to play Sedated on bass. It's a simple line and perfect for a beginner.
    If we'd known we were going to be the Beatles, we'd have tried harder.--George Harrison

I love the Ramones! I saw them a few times and it was always fun. They didn't play the sappy stuff live, just "1, 2, 3, 4" and a 2 minute blast followed by "1, 2, 3, 4" and another 2 minute blast, etc...

Definitely two thumbs up from me.
    What happend?
    Who let the magic smoke out?

I appreciate all the replies, and enjoy them. The ones who don't like punk or the Ramones are helping me too, since they point out what they wouldn't like to see live on a club.

I am thinking of putting together a new band and play mostly 70s punk stuff, both cover and authoral stuff.

As you all probably know, I currently I play classic 60s and 70s rock and sometimes I get tired of noodling soloes, having to figure too many phrases out and express them to the audience.

I like that, classic rock is what I'm all about, but sometimes I feel like just cranking the amp to 11, picking hard on powerchords and giving them some attitude without much thought.

It's relaxing and very rewarding when you wink at your drummer, he pulls out a heavy beat, you start jackhammering with your guitar and the crowd ROARS and headbangs.

I know what you mean. We played a benefit gig where the opening act was a very talented progressive rock band. The songs were very long and the audience just stood there the whole time they played. We were on next. Our drummer counted off "2, 3, 4" and we burst into Social Distortion's version of "Ring of Fire". The audience jumped to their feet dancing.
    After our set, the guitarist from the headlining band asked whose decision it was to start with that song because it was "fu__ing brilliant".

Yeah, that's great, you know?

The band I'm in usually opens with Blitzkrieg bop or Jumpin' jack flash. It's like using a sledgehammer to break into a castle full of peasants.

I like the Ramones, but I love the Sex Pistols. I've always wanted my cover bands to start off with Anarchy, but hard to interest small town Tennesseans in something that begins, "I am the anti-Christ-ah, I am anarchy, I know what I want and I know how to get it...."
    If we'd known we were going to be the Beatles, we'd have tried harder.--George Harrison

Quote Originally Posted by ch willie View Post
    I like the Ramones, but I love the Sex Pistols. I've always wanted my cover bands to start off with Anarchy, but hard to interest small town Tennesseans in something that begins, "I am the anti-Christ-ah, I am anarchy, I know what I want and I know how to get it...."
    Funny, I love Brit blues, but Brit punk never really got to me. I listened to Sex Pistols a lot and one or two songs I really dug, like Anarchy for instance. But the Pistols never really rang my bell.

The Ramones, on the other hand, always made me want to pick up a guitar and destroy a building with it.

Good times.

didn't go much with Sex Pistols but I really dug the Clash's London Calling. Probably 4 of the purest sides of rock and roll ever put on vinyl

Quote Originally Posted by DanTheBluesMan View Post
    didn't go much with Sex Pistols but I really dug the Clash's London Calling. Probably 4 of the purest sides of rock and roll ever put on vinyl
    That album is my fave from all those bands. I also tried to get a band to do London Calling.

I so want to get a band that can do a jam on Guns of Brixton

Now I need a Mosrite

Forum Member

I have a greatest hits cd of their's when I wanted to check them out once. 20 songs, 50 minutes long.