Thread: Dylan on tour

Dylan on tour

Who’s going? I hope he tours South America next!

http://www.bobdylan.com/on-tour/

Re: Dylan on tour

Your mention of Dylan reminds me of an article I read, "15 Covers That Are Better Than The Originals." Of course, Dylan is mentioned several times, as he's probably had more covers done of his songs than anyone else. Some of the others are pretty surprising (and of course, there are the "hey, you missed this one..." replies).

Regardless of their performances, I think some guys you just gotta see in the flesh. At least once.

TFF Stage Crew

Saw him last year here in town, specifically because he was someone I'd never seen before and he's a legend.

Without a doubt, the WORST live show I have ever seen in my life. While his backup band was superb, he literally sat with his back to the audience the entire night, never said one word to the crowd, and could often be heard excoriating this band member or that band member for playing a song at the wrong tempo, or playing a wrong note, etc. The band attempted to energize the material to the extent they were allowed, but it was still a miserable 70 minutes. I really wish I'd passed, so I could still think of him as a legend.

Now I think of him as the guy who wrote a lot of cover songs for artists I really love.

Quote Originally Posted by pc View Post
    Saw him last year here in town, specifically because he was someone I'd never seen before and he's a legend.

Without a doubt, the WORST live show I have ever seen in my life. While his backup band was superb, he literally sat with his back to the audience the entire night, never said one word to the crowd, and could often be heard excoriating this band member or that band member for playing a song at the wrong tempo, or playing a wrong note, etc. The band attempted to energize the material to the extent they were allowed, but it was still a miserable 70 minutes. I really wish I'd passed, so I could still think of him as a legend.

Now I think of him as the guy who wrote a lot of cover songs for artists I really love.

My point.

Besides, sometimes it goes better than expected.

I had never seen Guns and Roses, and though today everyone mocks and disses Axl's singing, I went to see them when they came to Brazil. I wanted to see them because I bought their records when they were released, I liked them in the 90s and they meant something to me. Well, it was a hell of a show. Even the press was all compliments.

Quote Originally Posted by pc View Post

that sounds a bit better than the show I saw in Manchester about 15 years ago. Except I don't know if the band was just totally dishearted (it was freaking tom petty's Heartbreakers, they don't suck) or what, or the sound man was utterly incompetent. But neither of those were the cause of Bob's incomprehensible mumbling being passed off as vocals. You couldn't tell what the song was, at all. It was as if he were having a stroke on stage. It was an outdoor show, I think we paid five bucks to get in. We drank one beer and left after about 4 songs.
    "Live and learn and flip the burns"

I saw Dylan six or seven years ago, and sure the voice is shot, but it was a good evening. I enjoyed the different versions of songs. It’s one of my fave shows ever. My son thought it was great too. Guess we caught him on a good night.
    If we'd known we were going to be the Beatles, we'd have tried harder.--George Harrison

I wasn't going to say anything, but we saw him at McCoy Stadium a few miles from my house in 2006. His voice was beyond shot. It was painful to listen to. We left after a few songs.

The opening acts were what drew me to the show, anyway- Elana James and the Continental Two (awesome!), Junior Brown (surprisingly underwhelming- seemed a little tipsy) and Jimmie Vaughan with Lou Ann Barton (fantastic!). It was a wonderful night.

Forum Member

All of his songs that I like are covers that someone else did. Big fan of the Traveling Wilbury's though.

I don't know...

I can't defend his current state... I know he's probably quite out of shape and has his issues (reminds me of how João Gilberto went down himself)... But I must say some of his records and songs really are something.

The Freewheelin' and HIghway '61 were great albums.

Anyway he's always been more of a poet, a troubadour than a proper musician, that's for sure.

I love most of Dylan's early work, but his World Gone Wrong and Out of Time CDs still seem to me among the best stuff he ever did.

If you can take the sound of Dylan's raspy voice, you'll love World Gone Wrong. I think the vulnerability of his voice sells these songs better than if he had the voice of Blood on the Tracks.
    If we'd known we were going to be the Beatles, we'd have tried harder.--George Harrison