Thread: Tuning issues

Tuning issues

Hi, everybody. It's been years since I posted. No idea why that is.

I recently assembled a part-o-caster with a Callaham vintage style tremolo bridge. All I want to do is a little warble every now and then, no dive-bombing. Unfortunately, I cannot seem to get it to return to tune very well if I touch the bar. The neck is a MIM Fender deluxe with their standard plastic nut. I'm using Big Bends Nut Sauce on it. The tuners are Kluson-style vintage tuners.

Before I sink too much more effort / expense into this thing I just want to know if you'all think it's possible to achieve tuning stability with this sort of setup or if I'm better off rebuilding with a 2 point bridge, locking tuners, etc.

Thanks!

As soon as I figure out how to post pictures I will. She's a real beauty - sounds and plays great. Just this dang tuning issue!
    s'all goof.

Re: Tuning issues

Hello, welcome back!

I'll watch this thread, as I myself have no experience with using trem arms but intend to start doing that, and the tuning issues are something I'll probably got to deal with.

Forum Member

Tune it and play; do the warble you want to do a few times. Tune it and post which strings are out of tune.

Assuming you pre-stretched the strings I'm going to guess it's the nut. Especially of you are of the heavy strings ilk.

Eliminating that then I'd say the saddles are too high, but it's almost always the nut.

Chuck
    "No harmonic knowledge, no sense of time, a ghastly tone, unskilled vibrato, and so on. Chuck is one of the worst guitar players I know" -Gravity Jim

It’s gonna be one of two things: either the nut needs to be smoothed out, or the trem springs need to be adjusted. I’m sure there’s a YouTube video on how to do it. It’s kinda hard to explain on the Web.

Been a long time buddy! 👍 I check in here every once in awhile. ccpacheco26@gmail.com
    "don't worry, i'm a professional!"

Chuckocaster! Good to hear from you. Yeah, I guess I just took an extended hiatus for no particular reason.

So, my tuning question - I just want to know if I should pursue this further with the current setup of a vintage trem and such. Is the best I can achieve here "ehh... not so bad"? Or should I change course and re-build my start with a 2 point trem, locking tuners, etc? I figure all that stuff was invented for a reason, right?

I really don't have experience with the vintage Strat trem. For many years I just had a hardtail Strat. Only recently I figured I'd give the trem a go.
    s'all goof.

Forum Member

deleted
    Last edited by MGW-AB; 02-17-2021 at 09:46 AM.