Thread: Being a live player, do you enjoy live music more?

Being a live player, do you enjoy live music more?

I saw this topic in another forum and wanted to inquire about this here.

those of you who actually play live music on the guitar: do you still like to go out and see other bands/artists perform live?

As for me, well: having become a live player made me like live music even more. I enjoy seeing other musicians doing their thing, and the feeling that I'm a part of the "music scene" is a great "seasoning" for the experience.

I go out to see other musicians play whenever I can and don't waste a second trying to analyze or criticize what I'm hearing, I just enjoy it. A lot, really.

Re: Being a live player, do you enjoy live music more?

I absolutely, utterly, totally unabashedly love, adore, crave and NEED to see live music. Frankly, I'm seriously under-sated in this vital essential nectar that sustains my being. I desperately need to indulge in much more than I'm currently getting.
    "Live and learn and flip the burns"

I love playing live, but I hate being in crowds. I like live music if I'm in a small but roomy venue. I prefer to see singer songwriters because as much as I love playing loud and rocking music, I prefer acoustic players who play and sing a lot quieter than a band. It's not just that I'm 57 and getting older: I've always felt this way. As for big name concerts, I prefer to watch these on TV--no crowds, close up view, ability to pause for pee breaks and for getting snacks without paying too much like you do at concerts.
    If we'd known we were going to be the Beatles, we'd have tried harder.--George Harrison

Not so much. Playing as much as I do I need to give my ears a break.

About the only time I go now is if its an old friend playing and it's usually more about catching up during the breaks.
    "No harmonic knowledge, no sense of time, a ghastly tone, unskilled vibrato, and so on. Chuck is one of the worst guitar players I know" -Gravity Jim

I've always thought this picture is very cool... They were seeing the Stones

I gig several times a month. I am not a full time musician but I absolutely LOVE playing live. I also enjoy live music. I love watching (good) bands. I also tend to like live albums... bootlegs and live recordings that aren't "fixed".
    A good, screaming Strat just might be the greatest guitar sound of all..... -Slash

Forum Member

I haven't played out in a good while but it wasn't playing live myself that reduced my interest in seeing bands. As my ability grew with the guitar, recording, and production more and more of the magic was removed for many artist out there.

I don’t care where or when I hear good music. I love being on stage with a kick-ass band and laying down a “feel” that has our entire audience moving to our groove, but I also enjoy listening to a really well done dvd or cd that gets my foot to tappin’. Good music is good music no matter where you encounter it.