Thread: I need to change my shorts....

I need to change my shorts....

I got to drive this car yesterday. Awe- freakin' Some!

"We catched fish and talked, and we took a swim now and then to keep off sleepiness." Mark Twain

Re: I need to change my shorts....

Che Bella!

That is pretty!

Makes my heart go pitter pat!
    What happend?
    Who let the magic smoke out?

Forum Member

The local Buick/GMC/Toyota dealer I worked for had a Ferrari dealership in Phoenix. He used to brag that there were more Ferraris registered in our little county than anywhere else! People would fly to Phoenix and buy a car, he would have it registered here, and they would store the car there in Phoenix. The storage included all maintenance, and delivery to and from the Phoenix airport. (The recommended maintenance is pretty intense!)
    He kept one here in the showroom, I took it to the airport once to impress one of his dealer reps, but only let it go to 130. (Our roads aren't that great!) The Buick guy asked me to take him back in my GMC.

That must've been awesome!

Forum Member

gibsonjunkie, we're still waiting for the rest of the story!
    How fast? Did you pick on Mustangs? Tickets?

I didn't feel right driving too fast because it wasn't my car and I wasn't used to paddle shifting. I did get it up to around 95 (lots of traffic, anyways). He did around 105. Turns out that was a good thing because earlier that morning I'd walked on the beach and my wallet fell out of my pocket (we found it). Plus they live half-time in Florida and his registration had expired without him knowing it... could have been a real exciting time! He said he did have it up to 195 at a Ferrari meet in Florida on Alligator alley - that's the speed everyone was going...
    "We catched fish and talked, and we took a swim now and then to keep off sleepiness." Mark Twain

Forum Member

Thanks!
    195! WOW!

Super nice! The fastest I had my street legal CLK430 was 140. I hit 180 on the back stretch of Upper Marlboro Raceway in the formula car I worked on (the owner had a small stable of cars including a Lotus Elan, a 67' Corvette hatchback, and a Grand Prix). Ah, those were the days.

Today I think I'd have a heart attack if I tried driving that fast!

Amazing how that happens - we get old and think about living... I think I got one of my older Mustangs up to about 135 - this new one only around 115.... so far...

Forum Member

The problem with age is knowledge!
    In most of my younger days, I was sure I was indestructible. but sometime in my mid 40's I realized other things could happen that I can't control. In the 70's I had a 67 Grand Prix, and then a 75 Marquis that almost never traveled below 100. A friendly state cop clocked me at 130 coming back from a gig at 2:30 in the morning, and chewed me out later at work.
    I think I realized I'll still get there even if only driving 80!
    The last time I was over 100, my friend came by wanting me to drive his Hellcat. and I just barely got past 100! (He opened it up a little more coming back, but he showed me the max speed was his wife's, 146!)

I
    cain't
    drive
    55 !!!
    "Live and learn and flip the burns"

It’s just an over-priced, over-hyped Ferrari. You can run 140+ in many old American cars. I was doing that in my ‘65 250 hp Corvette back in 1967. I’m much more excited to drive my wife’s 427 ‘13 Vette that can run those speeds all day long and doesn’t cost an arm and a leg to repair when needed.

I can run 140 in my Mustang and the engine in that car has almost as much HP as the Ferrari - but ..... it was still a Ferrari and it was fun to drive.

And don't forget, the new Corvette is a Ferrari knock off!

Corvettes are really cool, but let's face it, they're built pretty cheaply. Pop rivets, plastic interior, "leather" seats. They're the best mass-produced affordable sports car out there, but they're built for a price point.

A Ferrari, on the other hand, is a piece of mechanical art. From the feel of the alcantara dash to the sound of the engine, they're masterpieces in every way, shape and form. Until you've driven them you can't understand. A real dual-clutch setup is an eye-opener to those who have never driven one.

Good on you Nick! While no other street-legal car ever built will give you that visceral brutality and performance of a high-end Mustang driven hard, there's also no substitute for refined perfection.

IMHO,

Chuck
    "No harmonic knowledge, no sense of time, a ghastly tone, unskilled vibrato, and so on. Chuck is one of the worst guitar players I know" -Gravity Jim