Thread: Acoustic Guitar Rig Ideas for picking and strumming

Acoustic Guitar Rig Ideas for picking and strumming

Hello everybody! It has been a long time since I have posted anything on this forum, but I find myself with a gear problem and who better to turn to then all of the knowledgeable folks on TFF

I play a Gibson J30 with a K&K pure western mini pick up. It feeds a TC harmonizer and then into the PA, which is aniPad driven board with savable presets for every channel; including gain, EQ and effects. I’m happy with the sound that I’ve come up with for my acoustic, but my problem is that I have one tone for every song. What it means is, sometimes I’m picking and sometimes I’m strumming and the two require different amounts of gain in order to work. So, a strumming song is not going to require as rich a signal as a finger picked piece. I saw an article that had a performer with two switches in front of him, one labeled pick and the other labeled strum. That’s what I want to achieve.

I’m thinking of using an AB box feeding two channels on the board. So, A channel will feed my strumming side and the B channel will be for picking. The signal will go from my guitar through the TC harmonizer, then into an A/B splitter pedal that will send the signal to the A side for strumming (that will include a looper and a delay for that channel), And the signal from the B-side will go through a spark pedal.

Each side will go into a stereo DI feeding two channels on the board. A will be EQ’d, compressed, effected and will have the proper gain for strumming, and B will be EQ’d, compressed and effected in its own manner with a tad richer gain and more tonal width for picking and nuanced parts.
    So, what do you think? My goal is to have two different sounding guitars so that I can not only play different parts with each channel (like strumming or picking) but also switch to a richer channel B
    for solos over loops made in channel A.

So, How would you do things otherwise? I look forward to your responses! Thanks!
    Check out my band's stuff:

The BIG Coque Band's Facebook Page
    The BIG Coque Band's Youtube Page

"Follow your bliss"
    --Joseph Campbell

Re: Acoustic Guitar Rig Ideas for picking and strumming

Is this kind of what you’re trying to Do?
    https://www.ehx.com/products/switchblade-plus

Yeah, kinda. I already have a switcher, but it needs repair. I might but the switch blade because it may be easier and cheaper than fixing the existing pedal. Do you own an EH switch blade? Do you dig it?
    Check out my band's stuff:

The BIG Coque Band's Facebook Page
    The BIG Coque Band's Youtube Page

"Follow your bliss"
    --Joseph Campbell

It looks like it should work - neat idea.
    "We catched fish and talked, and we took a swim now and then to keep off sleepiness." Mark Twain