Thread: Hot Rod '57 AVRI vs Eric Johnson

Hot Rod '57 AVRI vs Eric Johnson

Which would you choose and why? The two I am looking at are pretty much the same price:
    Hot Rod '57 AVRI (2013) vs an Eric Johnson model (2005). I am familiar with the neck on the EJ and if the 57 AVRI is a true re-issue, it should have a neck pretty much the same. Is that true?
    "The beauty and profundity of God is more real than any mere calculation."

Re: Hot Rod '57 AVRI vs Eric Johnson

I think in general the EJ strat is nice, especially from a materials standpoint, but the lack of attention to detail on the finishing is kind of a bummer. I had one in the past and I had the overspray on the frets taken off and it made a material difference to the playability of the guitar; this is just me but the new price of the guitar justifies more hand finishing than the guitars get.

I recently played one of the new line of American Originals in each of the "major" configs (RW strat, maple stra, 52 tele) and thought they were really nice but they have a poly undercoat. I just dont understand why; the guitars felt and sounded good anyway, so maybe I'd overlook it, but it just feels like Fender trying to keep the guitars from cannibalizing CS strats like how Audi always has to be careful not to step on Porsche's toes and I'm just not into it.

On the balance of things think I'd rather have the EJ but yeah with the understanding Im going to put some money into getting the fretboard cleaned up and doing some deburring on the metal bits.

Re: Hot Rod '57 AVRI vs Eric Johnson

I can't handle the low frets that either of these guitars come with- especially on a glossy maple fretboard.