Thread: Digi-Tech Drop pedal

Digi-Tech Drop pedal

I just started rehearsing with a guitar player that tunes down a half step. I hate playing with a drop tuning on my bass because it requires a complete change to the set up of the instrument and gives me a floppy feel on the B string of my 5ers. A friend plays in two groups that each use a different drop tuning and has utilized using a Digital-Tech Drop pedal to maintain standard tuning on his axe and work with both groups without altering his bass. I listened to his rig last night and felt the Drop pedal did an accurate/flawless job.

My question would be if I can insert that pedal in the effects loop of my preamp or do I have to run it direct to the preamp input jack?

Re: Digi-Tech Drop pedal

Educated guess, but I think it’d probably work better out front and not in the loop. I have a Sub’n’Up and B9 pedals I use, both manuals recommended running them as close to first in line as possible. Those two definitely track better by doing that. They were a little glitchy otherwise, I assume the Drop works similarly to these. Best of luck buddy 👍
    "don't worry, i'm a professional!"

Forum Member

The Pedal you are looking at their is a good one and they are used first in the pedal chain even before the EQ.

First in the chain my friend.

Take care, stay well.
    I have decided to be happy because it's good for my health.

Thanks to all who responded. I thought I'd let you know that it works fine in the effects loop I guess the requirement is no matter direct in or effects loop it has to be the first pedal in the chain. I'm a bass player so no other pedals to worry about. I'm just looking at it as a way to work with players who don't tune to standard pitch to save me from doing a complete setup depending on which band I'm working with.

Hope it works out for you buddy! I read some good reviews on that pedal, but have yet to try it. I did use to use a DigiTech Whammy, and it tracked quite well. I did find it weird to hear a different note than what I was playing. Personal thing, and not THAT big a deal that I couldn’t perform. The Whammy also sounded a little “synthy”, which was what I was after. But I’ve read that the Drop sounds more realistic. Let us know how it goes
    "don't worry, i'm a professional!"

Sunday I played my first gig with the “Drop” pedal and can report it worked flawlessly. I decided to not run it in the effects loop as it seemed my DB680 Aguilar preamp was overdriving the circuitry of the pedal. I probably could have adjusted the problem out, but in the end it was just easier to modify the wiring of my rack to just pop the pedal in after the wireless receiver. To my 73 year old ears there was no discernible difference in timbre, color, volume or response of my bass with the pedal engaged or not.
    Quote Originally Posted by chuckocaster View Post
    Hope it works out for you buddy! I read some good reviews on that pedal, but have yet to try it. I did use to use a DigiTech Whammy, and it tracked quite well. I did find it weird to hear a different note than what I was playing. Personal thing, and not THAT big a deal that I couldn’t perform. The Whammy also sounded a little “synthy”, which was what I was after. But I’ve read that the Drop sounds more realistic. Let us know how it goes