Thread: Differences among vintage pickups

Differences among vintage pickups

I have never had the pleasure, but just suppose I had in front of me a pile of vintage Strats, from 1954 to, say, 1965. What would be the differences in tone, broadly speaking, or would they all be so similar that one could not really hear any distinct differences.

I am curious because of the many custom pickups out there in the marketplace, many of which might offer both a 1954-style Strat pickup as well as a 1965-style. Do you think that anyone could tell the difference in a blindfold test to the point where they could identify a pickup by age or at least age range?

Inquiring minds want to know!
    "The beauty and profundity of God is more real than any mere calculation."

Re: Differences among vintage pickups

I’m not really an expert on Strat pups, but I’ve done a lot of swapping and listening. I honestly don’t think most people would be able to pass a blindfold test. In general, I think people would be able to say they either like a certain style or not. True 54/Early 55 Strat pups should be A3 mags, it then changed to A5. I’m not sure off all the particulars through the years, different staggers and wire type, etc. I personally like flat pole pups. I think we as players get very obsessive over tiny details. I have found Strat pups to be responsive to height adjustments, and then factor in how they’ve aged. So, short answer: I’ve found A3 to have a little more sparkle to the top end and a softer low end. They seem to “bloom” to my ears. A5 is “snappier” and more scooped in the mids. Different DC resistances will kinda change the output, to a certain degree, but I hear it more changing the EQ curve more, which does change the perceived output because it’s hitting the amp different. I don’t think understand that. I’ll have to think more about this topic.

My personal favorites are A3 early 54 type, they have a sweetness and chime that I like. I also usually like early to mid 70’s flat poles, they have a certain “muscle” to the sound. It’s hard to explain, but I like them better than the 62-65 types.
    "don't worry, i'm a professional!"