Thread: Happy Fourth of July

Happy Fourth of July

There's an old joke: What countries have a Fourth of July? Answer: All of them.

But seriously, wishing a happy 243rd birthday to my American brothers! One of my inspirational moments came when I first heard Jimi Hendrix play his rendition of "The Stars Spangled Banner." I set out to learn how to play my own, and still do to this day. And today I will play it again!

Re: Happy Fourth of July

Happy Birthday, USA

Not a whole lot of countries can pinpoint their origin to a specific day. Probably just in the New World.

I think I'll go get some chicken and burgers and fire up my grill. It's going to be hot but hopefully clear and no storms. A rarity actually for this holiday. A few decades ago I'd be thinking of beer o'clock starting before noon and lasting all day. Not so much anymore. Biggest brew swilling day of the year, be careful out there. Don't blow any fingers off messing with pyrotechnics, another vice I have no inclination to indulge in anymore.

Gonna keep the house cool so I can go outside and back in for relief. Have a good one, y'all.
    "Live and learn and flip the burns"

On the fourth I always watched the PBS presentation from DC, but for the last few years we started getting together with a good friend’s family at their rural home for a backyard foodfest that winds up with a great fireworks show. The two hour fireworks show rivals the displays put on by local communities so it’s a pretty fun evening.

I hope all have a safe and enjoyable fourth!

Forum Member

In my little town, the 4th used to really be a big deal, maybe not so much nowadays. We still have a parade, not as many horses as when I was younger, and no longer the big rodeo, (and the 3 night gigs at the arena that always paid well). Always shoot a little at my brother in laws, not so many fireworks anymore! My sister in law says bring guitars, so maybe after a little charred meat, we might play a little, (I'm just taking my acoustic)!

Happy Birthday everyone!

please be safe.
    What happend?
    Who let the magic smoke out?

First show today was with MTB, it was 92, 100% humidity, no wind, and the stage was weatherproof so it must have been 120 in there and I was the lucky chump who got to stand in the one sunny spot on the stage. Oh yeah, the diesel generator fumes were nice as was the fairly ripe porta-pottie backstage.

And does every outdoor festival now have to have a MF drone hovering over the front of the stage?

Good news is that we went on at noon about 20 minutes away from the marina, so I was able to sneak in some fishing this morning before the first show. Got this one for my friend Jeff.

Jeff_W_King by Chuck Smith, on Flickr
    Last edited by Offshore Angler; 07-04-2019 at 04:53 PM.
    "No harmonic knowledge, no sense of time, a ghastly tone, unskilled vibrato, and so on. Chuck is one of the worst guitar players I know" -Gravity Jim

LOL the vivid imagery and ... uh ... olfactory descriptions were palpable through the computer screen. What was that quote by Animal Mother in Full Metal Jacket? Oh, yeah, "better you than me"

"Live and learn and flip the burns"

[QUOTE=DanTheBluesMan;637985]LOL the vivid imagery and ... uh ... olfactory descriptions were palpable through the computer screen. What was that quote by Animal Mother in Full Metal Jacket? Oh, yeah, "better you than me"

And I smelled like fish too.

None of this is in the brochure when you are considering being a musician, LOL!
    "No harmonic knowledge, no sense of time, a ghastly tone, unskilled vibrato, and so on. Chuck is one of the worst guitar players I know" -Gravity Jim

It's been a great weekend - we celebrated at Fort Worth's Fourth...killer show.

My fellow Texans here and I are blessed to have TWO Independence Days to celebrate: July 4, 1776 and March 2, 1836

In all seriousness, hope all you TFF'ers have enjoyed celebrating all the freedom you can!
    "...pray do not imagine that those who make the noise are the only inhabitants of the field;
    that, of course, they are many in number; or that, after all, they are other than the little,
    shriveled, meagre, hopping, though loud and troublesome, insects of the hour."

-Edmund Burke

MAN WE NEED A LIKE BUTTON!

Happy 4th weekend ya'll!!!!
    The only time you really live fully is from thirty to sixty. The young are slaves to dreams; the old servants of regrets. Only the middle-aged have all their five senses in the keeping of their wits.
    T. Roosevelt